• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Moon Is Red: Apple TV does AH.

Feeling a bit wary about Apple's involvement in this kind of project (esp. after Amazon and Man in the High Castle), but the idea is definitely intriguing.

Makemakean

Rootless Rōnin

So, the premise is that the Soviet's land on the Moon first, and the Space Race escalates from there.
I cannot deny that I just love the basic premise, because it is grounded in such a wonderful insanity, America, simply on the grounds of stubbornly refusing to admit defeat, insisting on going all the way to fucking Mars, no matter the cost, just out of a sense of "We deserve to win because this is America!"

Thande

Zordrak, Lord of Nightmares
Published by SLP
I cannot deny that I just love the basic premise, because it is grounded in such a wonderful insanity, America, simply on the grounds of stubbornly refusing to admit defeat, insisting on going all the way to fucking Mars, no matter the cost, just out of a sense of "We deserve to win because this is America!"
A more achievable response would probably be a manned Venus flyby, but I can imagine the politicians would only settle for landing on Mars.

It was pointed out elsewhere that there are a lot of problems with the idea of the Soviets making it to the moon first - I did see one realistic take on it on an AH website, but it required a major disaster in the US programme, the Soviets didn't pull it off till the early 1970s, and even then it was a very Soviet affair with landing multiple unmanned capsules because only one of them might work on the way back up, etc.