• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The likelihood of French surrender in WW1

I'm surprised. Just dipping into single volume histories of WWI:

History books by historians are one thing, I'm thinking of more casual mentions online and in text and in some more casual fiction. Then it's less about what the French thought about the 1910s and what we now think, and want to be true.

(My favourite example of that isn't the French strikes but when a comedian doing a thing on oil politics shortly after Iraq went 'the British Army swiftly sent troops to the Middle East to an oil refinery?! But wasn't about Belgium??? HMMM, EH', because why on Earth would we want to secure a source of oil in a big war against Germany eh readers??)

History books by historians are one thing, I'm thinking of more casual mentions online and in text and in some more casual fiction. Then it's less about what the French thought about the 1910s and what we now think, and want to be true.

(My favourite example of that isn't the French strikes but when a comedian doing a thing on oil politics shortly after Iraq went 'the British Army swiftly sent troops to the Middle East to an oil refinery?! But wasn't about Belgium??? HMMM, EH', because why on Earth would we want to secure a source of oil in a big war against Germany eh readers??)

To be fair, wasn't the expedition to Basrah and then onwards one of the worst cases of mission creep of the war?

If Paris falls I'm not sure what the French thought really matters much. Their transport network and industrial base would be utterly fucked and much of the fighting thereafter would be in the places they need to keep fighting.

Back