• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Launchbox, Pod 14: The Near Misses of Gemini (Part 2)

I actually had another thought for a truly horrifying What If on Gemini 8 as I woke up this morning, so I've hurriedly edited that thought into the article...

I actually had another thought for a truly horrifying What If on Gemini 8 as I woke up this morning, so I've hurriedly edited that thought into the article...

I assume it's the last note and... hoo boy that's a horror.

That’s the one.
I suddenly thought - if the thruster worked fine for six or seven hours after launch before going wrong, why not, say, eight, nine, ten hours.
So the mission would have unfolded normally until whatever point... oh, crap.

the spacewalking astronauts would have to detach completely from life support from the spacecraft in order to accomplish swapping connections, relying totally on the backup systems

OH HELL NO. Based on these articles, he'd have not only died, somehow detaching would've also turned off the life support for the guy still inside and then the craft would've landed with a bang on top of the construction for the next one

OH HELL NO. Based on these articles, he'd have not only died, somehow detaching would've also turned off the life support for the guy still inside and then the craft would've landed with a bang on top of the construction for the next one
Essentially, the US Space Race was saved due to the fact that Frank Borman was Genre Savvy.

Back