• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Launchbox, PoD 13: The Near Misses of Gemini (Part 1)

I'm amazed they didn't test explosive bolts in the potentially explosive atmosphere they'd be used in.

I always wanted to do a TL where the Gemini possibilities come to fruition, mainly so I could just use "Gemini Dream" by the Moody Blues as the soundtrack. The repetition of "make it work out" certainly evokes the problems they had to overcome.

Gemini is always a fascinating program I find, especially as the bridge between Mercury and Apollo proving many of the techniques required for it such as rendezvous and docking, EVA, and long-duration spaceflight to say the least.

I'm amazed they didn't test explosive bolts in the potentially explosive atmosphere they'd be used in.

This is something I do disagree with a bit? After the ejection sequence was initiated, the entire system utilized high pressure gas (generated by an explosive) to first blow the hatches off (taking on a matter of a third of a second) and then the gas pressure is used to propel the ejection seats out of the seats before the ejection motors fire. Even if for some reason you uh, did start to see the astronauts catch on fire in a second, the matter of being propelled at high-speed through the air would have put them out?

Back