• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Last Demand: Musings on Annual Parliamentary Elections being implemented in the 1920s

Mumby

Always mysterious!
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
This isn't a TL. It's just somewhere I can put down my ideas.

My idea for the POD is no Zinoviev Letter. This leads to no panic before polling day, which led to middle class voters deserting the Liberals to vote for the Conservatives. In this world, the Liberals remain a viable third force at least for now. Baldwin leads a shaky Conservative-Liberal coalition that frays at the edges as Tory backbenchers see some of Baldwin's reforms to the emergent welfare state as abandoning traditional Tory values of volunteerism and encouragement of private and religious charity, and Liberal backbenchers also become uncomfortable with Baldwin's moves to establish state monopolies in utilities. The coalition fragments after barely a year.

Labour then comes back in 1925, just in time to lead Britain through the General Strike. MacDonald's failure to adequately tackle the situation and a general feeling of failure leads to the collapse of his government and Winston Churchill leads a more united coalition back into power to sort out the industrial mess. However, a key reform of MacDonald's at this point is to formalise what has become tradition after four elections in four years. Annual elections are brought in the last demand of the Chartists is fulfilled.

Churchill wins the 1926 election, and then the 1927 one which is still in the post-Strike fug of triumphalism over trade unions. However things rapidly fall apart with the economic situation failing to improve and Churchill's three party coalition (Conservatives, Liberals and his own Constitutionalists) proving difficult to herd. I can imagine the government falling in either 1928 or 1929.

Anyway, the Great Depression is the final nail in the coffin for the Churchill Coalition and Labour comes into power. A few years under Henderson as a minority, likely backed up by a Keynesian Liberal splitter led by Lloyd George are followed by Bevin who wins the first Labour majority. He reverses the Churchillian anti-trade union legislation and strengthens the union bond to ensure Labour has a ready war chest every year. The right steadily coalesces into the Constitutional League but the expense of annual elections combined with the powerful political machine that Bevin establishes through the establishment of an expanded welfare state and cozy deals with the unions, mean that Labour has an early advantage. The right by contrast is captured by the interests of the powerful press barons who ensure Churchill's premiership and ended Baldwin's career.

Last edited:
Back