• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

'The Hot War' trilogy review

I've heard its portrayal of the Soviet army and its tactics was too stereotypically "Asiatic Hordes-y", especially considering how it was arguably at a high point of its strength at this point in real life (kept the best types of formations from WW2, ie, the rapid motorized ones, while demobilizing the anachronisms, all the while facing a still underprepared and fatalistic western alliance).

It's a shame because that is a very good concept for a story - entirely unlike our usual picture of a Cold War gone hot.

Nearly all AH largely conventional World War IIIs are either right after World War II (mainstream novels) or after 1980 (gaming/niche fandom). Exceptions like this and the 10/27/62 series prove the rule.

Nearly all AH largely conventional World War IIIs are either right after World War II (mainstream novels) or after 1980 (gaming/niche fandom). Exceptions like this and the 10/27/62 series prove the rule.
But that word 'conventional' is what I'm picking up on - when people picture 'Cold War gone hot' they're generally thinking nuclear Armageddon. You may have a different perspective as you've reviewed so many conventional World War III stories, but I think I remember you saying there are rather fewer of these in existence than you thought.

But that word 'conventional' is what I'm picking up on - when people picture 'Cold War gone hot' they're generally thinking nuclear Armageddon.

Ah. That is indeed the case, and I think it's very good for society overall that people think it's the case.

You may have a different perspective as you've reviewed so many conventional World War III stories, but I think I remember you saying there are rather fewer of these in existence than you thought.

Yep, there are. And the one area where there are a lot of conventional superpower wars, gaming, has a justification (you can only do so much with more realistic asymetric wars, so conventional WW3s, however implausible, allow for a different type of gameplay involving higher-end forces).

Back