• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Audience versus Operation Sealion: A new type of Alternate History Experience

I hadn't thought about the point Kingston makes there about the other reason for it being different from OTL - not just to make an invasion more plausible, but to stop people defaulting to what was done in OTL. That never really came up in e.g. Time Commanders but here we are dealing with a situation much more implanted into our national consciousness.

I hadn't thought about the point Kingston makes there about the other reason for it being different from OTL - not just to make an invasion more plausible, but to stop people defaulting to what was done in OTL. That never really came up in e.g. Time Commanders but here we are dealing with a situation much more implanted into our national consciousness.
Yes. If we did El Alamein Sod’s law says someone every couple of shows would just go “right, here’s what Monty did”. Ditto the OTL BoB.

There’s also the suspense element - you don't know things will be alright because they weren’t tested IRL.

Yes. If we did El Alamein Sod’s law says someone every couple of shows would just go “right, here’s what Monty did”. Ditto the OTL BoB.

How often have people specifically tried to "munchkin" (play in an unfair, unrealistic way designed more to 'win' then just enjoy the spectacle) the game as-is?

How often have people specifically tried to "munchkin" (play in an unfair, unrealistic way designed more to 'win' then just enjoy the spectacle) the game as-is?
A bit, but we’re in control so you can’t do that. “Build thousands more tanks now” meets an answer of “that will take months, sir”. You can withdraw everything to London and make the city into Stalingrad, but tbh that’s actually kind of cool.

The nice thing is having been once, you could probably go again and see if you can't try and think of something more outlandish just for the 'what would that do' element.

Of course you'd have to be careful nor to be too dominating and ruin it for others.

Thank god this is not in America. I would be depressed by who shows up in a MAGA hat.

Thank god this is not in America. I would be depressed by who shows up in a MAGA hat.

We have a tendency to disinvite those sorts from academic exercises like this. Basic literacy and arithmetic being requirements of this type of thing, however, means I can't imagine many scenarios where the audience of 1940 can avoid the post-occupation State of Affairs in 1944

We have a tendency to disinvite those sorts from academic exercises like this. Basic literacy and arithmetic being requirements of this type of thing, however, means I can't imagine many scenarios where the audience of 1940 can avoid the post-occupation State of Affairs in 1944
It isn’t a huge spoiler to say there is an opportunity to vote on a ceasefire and agreement with the Germans in 1940, however it has only ever passed once, and in that instance we had a plan in place to keep the war going - and explaining that would involve spoilers.

Thankfully we’ve never had anyone explicitly advocate Going All Nazi. We have had a member of the IRL armed forces try to order our troops to begin carrying out mass rapes in the field (despite the fact we were fighting on British soil, on top of everything else) but that proposal was, shall we say, robustly rejected.

Thankfully we’ve never had anyone explicitly advocate Going All Nazi. We have had a member of the IRL armed forces try to order our troops to begin carrying out mass rapes in the field (despite the fact we were fighting on British soil, on top of everything else) but that proposal was, shall we say, robustly rejected.

Bloody hell.

Umm, hate to bring controversy on to my head, but have you had any Little Englanders or Leave-voting Brexiteers as the audience? I know you would not have asked them if they were, but I'm only wondering.

As for the following scenario, set in 1944, heh, we had to have Heydrich didn't we? Heh, shouldn't the sequel be called "For Kommissar and Country 1944", not "For King and Country 1944"? as Heydrich is more powerful than King Edward.

Reading this, made me think of "Meet The New Boss", which I'm sure you have read (oh, did that sound passive-aggressive?). Imagine mainland Britain being split between the invading United States Army and an invading Red Army. The Red Army frees southern England and part of Wales; while the United States Army frees Ireland, northern England, northern Wales, and the whole of Scotland.

Speaking of Ireland, O'Duffy's Blueshirts did not have time to establish themselves, did they?

Last edited:
Umm, hate to bring controversy on to my head, but have you had any Little Englanders or Leave-voting Brexiteers as the audience. I know you would not have asked them if they were, but I'm only wondering.
Without doubt, we have. Why do you ask?

Only I read in the Guardian a little time ago, that some Little Englanders and/or including Leave voters, keep thinking back to 1940. They do this because, oooh, let me think, they in some part, wish Great Britain had been invaded by the German Wehrmacht. While peculiar at first comprehension, an invaded Great Britain would have given patriotic and plucky men, women, and children the chance to gloriously, valiantly resist the invaders, tell their children and grandchildren, be remembered long after the fact in books and films etc. Thus so they think this. Also, the piece continued, invaded and liberated countries on Continental Europe were twice as prosperous and successful inside the European Economic Community and Common Market, than they would have been outside it. Thus so they think this. Hope this was helpful.

Antifa has gone too far.

In all seriousness, I suspect he was trying to have a laugh, but slightly worrying if 'fuck the enemy to death' is his answer to an invasion.

The team at For King & Country have noticed some traffic coming to their site from this one, and are delighted to have attracted some attention from AH fans.

As a result, the discount code 'SEALION' will get you a £10-off each ticket you buy if you do so through their website.

The code is valid for both shows, which both run until April 28th.

It isn’t a huge spoiler to say there is an opportunity to vote on a ceasefire and agreement with the Germans in 1940, however it has only ever passed once, and in that instance we had a plan in place to keep the war going

I did wonder about that.

(And now, before going to bed, I shall wonder very much about the IRL army guy ordering rapes. WHooooooof.)

Back