• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Thatcher at Maastricht

Blackadder Mk2

One of the more bitter aspects of the Tory infighting over the Maastricht Treaty revolved around Margaret Thatcher-practising her role as a backseat driver-coming out against Maastricht and calling for a referendum on the treaty, which a lot of people figured was because she thought it would lose. John Major and his supporters, and even a few rebels, thought that this was her getting back at him for perceived disloyalty over her removal from power and that she would have backed Maastricht like she backed the Single European Act. Thatcher, and most Maastricht rebels, insist that this was one treaty too far and that Major was a wet, pro-European, whose opt-outs didn't mean much in reality.

This often gets mixed in with debates over Heseltine's leadership challenge and Thatcher's toppling from power, but I think it's a question that doesn't get asked enough or-when it asked-the answer is stuck in re-fighting old wars. On the one hand, Thatcher was seen as having taken an anti-European turn after Bruges and someone who said "No, no, no" to a lot of what Maastricht proposed might not have gone for it. But, Bruges tends to be overstated as some kind of conversion or descent into madness. A lot of the speech is actually supportive of the project and Thatcher comes out more from retrenchment than retreat.

Also, the question doesn't get asked since it's rightly believed that Thatcher would have lost the next election. For the sake of debate, we'll presume that there's no Poll Tax or the economic troubles of '89-91 are butterflyed forward and so Thatcher has enough stable ground to fend off Meyer's challenge, Heseltine is deterred, and let's add giving Howe a cold so his speech is shorter/less effective.

Would Thatcher have signed Maastricht?

The first thing to consider are the opt-outs from the Euro and Social Chapter, along with the principle of subsidiarity. The element of personal diplomacy does matter as I doubt Thatcher's stance on German re-unification would have won her friends in Berlin and she already felt that the other leaders had broken trust over the SEA. If she doesn't get the opt-outs Major got IOTL, I can't see her agreeing to sign the treaty, but even if she did, would it have been enough?

There's also Black Wednesday and outside factors including the Danish and French referendums. Considering Thatcher was dragged kicking and screaming into the former, an earlier exit from the ERM isn't unlikely with even more complaints about Germany than OTL. Those events gave the Maastricht rebels a boost and having a Prime Minister feeling like she was right and her Cabinet was wrong isn't going to make life easy for Clarke, Hurd, etc who'd be pushing hard for Maastricht. The party's also going to be more Europsceptic at the backbench level.

Whether she agrees to sign or not, there's also the question of rebellion. If she agrees to sign, there's no spiritual leader for the rebels to go on or a belief that their leader got the job through dodgy methods, but there'll still be rebels to a government with a much smaller majority than in 1986. It'd pass, but the mythology of the Eurosceptic Right would be very different. If she doesn't sign, there's going to be Cabinet resignations and maybe even defections to the LibDems. I doubt she'd go for a referendum on the treaty while she was Prime Minister; not just because it'd be widely seen as a wrecking-tactic.

I personally think Thatcher would have been open to the treaty, but under conditions that wouldn't have been accepted and probably leading to a crisis as one member-state refuses to sign. But what do you all think?

I personally think Thatcher would have been open to the treaty, but under conditions that wouldn't have been accepted and probably leading to a crisis as one member-state refuses to sign. But what do you all think?

A treaty on her terms seems to be the most likely viewpoint for late-era Thatcher IMO, and also very unlikely. So yeah, this one's going to get messy.

So what happens if Thatcher (and by extension the UK) refused to sign? Unanimity was required, wasn't it? Presumably that would lead to lots of bad feelings and limbo until either Labour get into power or somebody who would sign replaces Thatcher, wouldn't it?

If she is refusing to sign then there won't be a treaty to sign.

They'll kick the can down the road until the next British election.
*Things Can Only Get Better blairs in the distance*

Presuming she makes it to 1996 (she admitted she was thinking of retiring in '95/6 and I think she'd have cut it as close as possible), the leadership election's going to be a bitter affair. Heseltine would have had his heart problems which undermine his image, but he might still give it a try if he thinks this is his only shot. He might have launched one anyway if Maastricht is sunk, which would be all sorts of fun. Other than that, I would put the other candidates as Howard, Lamont, and maybe even Portillo if the young, rising star makes her feel like giving him a leg-up. Little knowledge on the period or characters, but I'd say Lamont would win without Black Wednesday sinking his career and being more in-line with the Thatcher-line.

Major's balancing-act angered a lot of the EU IOTL, so add on Thatcher to incidents like the Turbot War, BSE, and the break-up of Yugoslavia and Anglo-EU relations just become a mutual exchange of "fuck-off"s. Doubt things would be much better with Clinton, in spite of the firmer line on Serbia, considering the reasons behind Major's own estrangement.

It is always worth remembering that Portillo "success" in these matters is at the whim of the various tabloid editors who may decide to remove him from the fray. I'm not the only person in the world to have seen him in a dodgy Belgian sex club you know.
Good point. I forgot that Portillo was the Chuka of the '90s.

Prime Minister Lamont would certainly be something, although he wouldn't have long. It's hard to see how he avoids his OTL fate, or indeed the one you set out in that vignette you did, of losing his seat to the LibDems. Unless a much earlier Pro-Euro Conservative stands in that same seat and splits enough of the vote, but I imagine there'd be enough agents to...explain why that's a bad idea.

I had thought it was part gateway drug and part ego-trip by MEPs, but not that far a puppet.

Put it like this, if you get the paperwork for the PEC candidate for Birmingham Edgbaston in 2001 from the elections office in Brum (if they still have them) and compare them to the handwriting of one former Cllr Iain Bowen - you might get a very close match.

Back