• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Swingin' Through the Time Stream: Social Dance in Alternate History

For those of us entirely unacquainted with the world of social dancing, that was very informative. You also brilliantly managed to get your enthusiasm across to the non-initiated.
It's a subject I've really struggled to do justice to in LTTW (see also fashion and sport), the danger of writing articles like this is that you mark yourself out as an expert to passing TL writers like me...

This article shouldn't have been written this way.

No, it's nothing about the arguments I make or the way I structured it or the way I crafted the prose (in its current context I think it turned out pretty well). It's none of that.

It's that this article should have come out as the dance halls of the world enter their holiday seasons. It should have been walls bedecked in tinsel and baubles and cut-out paper snowflakes. It should have been syncopated Christmas carols and Jingle Bell Rock and Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree flowing from the horns of swing bands.

(You can tell I have fun with these descriptive passages)

But the Savoy shouldn't have been demolished in 1958 to build a housing complex. The world tends not to give a damn about what we dancers think.

For this piece, I was going for that sort of nonfiction writing that Erik Larson or Simon Winchester or Neil Sheehan are great at, the sort where if there's a digression with an interesting story to it, they will absolutely digress if it's worth telling. More generally I think the world of this sort of dancing deserves a big tell-all book about it filled with interesting anecdotes; I'd love to write it, if money, time, and plague were no objects. I'd go to Blackpool and to Vienna's ball season and to the few remaining juke joints and to the Mississippi Blues Trail and to Salsa and Bachata and Mambo hot spots in the Caribbean, all to answer the question of "why do human beings do this?"

Topical for the UK given the climax of Strictly is coming up, though I assume that's a coincidence.

As I said in the article, it's the sort of show that teaches you how to dance poorly. There's a marked difference between learning showy routines and learning how to dance organically.

It's the sort of thing we dancers tend to have opinions about.

That's some very intense stuff, @SpanishSpy

It was intense to write. Firstly, this sort of dancing really taught me how to be a human being, and so I have a very strong emotional relationship with it, and it legitimately feels like lockdown ripped out a part of my soul. Secondly, it's dealing with some very unpleasant history and some even less pleasant alternate history (the media is good, but the subject matter is brutal), of trauma that isn't my own. I agonized about getting it right. Thirdly, there was the massive sense of social responsibility I felt to avoid misrepresenting things (the role of sexuality in blues was the big one, and I may have some masculine blinders - I tried to be fair), and to dehumanizing. A lot of how I write about dance in this article is taking that principle from fiction writing "your characters become relatable through their flaws" and applying it to a living, breathing thing that real people still do when there isn't a pandemic going on. I was trying to take these dances out of the museum in the eyes of the non-initiated reader.

For those of us entirely unacquainted with the world of social dancing, that was very informative. You also brilliantly managed to get your enthusiasm across to the non-initiated.

Some caveats to that: I gave you a very detailed look into swing and blues circles, and a foray into ballroom circles (those are the three sorts of dance circles I'm intimately familiar with). I have less experience with the various Latin dances or other sorts of dance spheres, and not everything I say here would apply to those in toto.

When I was messaging Gary over the months it took me to write it (I started in late September or early October) I said that I was ultimately trying to paint a portrait of a culture that is often portrayed incorrectly. More than anything else, that's what this piece is.

It's a subject I've really struggled to do justice to in LTTW (see also fashion and sport), the danger of writing articles like this is that you mark yourself out as an expert to passing TL writers like me...
I'm no expert; in any case I'm not sure I'm familiar with the sort of dance you write about (and I'm afraid I've not read Look to the West) - my area of knowledge is mostly African-American dance, as those are the dances I regularly partake in. I'm totally off base with Latin American or European stuff.

More general comments:

In terms of writing, it's still very much an SLP piece; my biggest influences from this site were @Thande and @David Flin for writing, and @SenatorChickpea for how I addressed the consequences of empire near the end.

I had a very fruitful discussion with @Ciclavex and @Makemakean in one of the Zoom calls that also influenced this strongly.

I owe @Gary Oswald a thank you for putting up with the sheer amount of nonsense (like a thirty-one page article!) I subjected him to.

I also owe several of my old dancer friends who looked over this and provided useful comments.

I also read a great piece on Soviet Jewish ballroom culture that I couldn't quite fit in there in an elegant manner.

Last edited:
This essay is superb- a really lovely piece of cultural history and frankly one that deserves a bigger audience than our little community.

I especially admired the intertwining of your personal experience of dance with the broader social, racial, sexual and gender issues that you raised.

I wish I knew more about the subject so I could ask better questions, but I'll have to restrain myself to just expressing my admiration for this work.

This essay is superb- a really lovely piece of cultural history and frankly one that deserves a bigger audience than our little community.

I especially admired the intertwining of your personal experience of dance with the broader social, racial, sexual and gender issues that you raised.

I wish I knew more about the subject so I could ask better questions, but I'll have to restrain myself to just expressing my admiration for this work.
That's very kind of you to say.

A lot of this essay is written in such a manner to allow an experienced dancer to follow (there are many 'dancer's notes' where I try to explain one thing or another, like AH norms that are bizarre to outsiders - I was talking this over with a dancer friend and he was somewhat confused by a sort of allohistorical speculation that would be commonplace here); even so I'm irrationally afraid that someone more knowledgeable than me will excoriate me for one misconception or another (but I do maintain that every basic assertion I make has antecedents in what I've read).

I like to think I have the self-awareness to know that I could never write about this objectively; rather, I opted for something of a memoir, partially as a font of examples. I have many more stories, but the article could only take so many.

And as per the last note - go ahead. Ask them. It means I get to talk more about dance.

A fascinating article. It was a long read, but I think the subject needed it, with the links to both real history and AH throughout. I'm not at all familiar with the various dancing styles / dances described - ceilidhs are more my thing - but you've described everything so well that I can almost imagine being there; your passion for this shines through the whole article. Thank you for the insight (and the hard work!).

I realized today that it's been a year since this article went up. It's been a long journey since.

It was on June 17th, 2021, I got to dance for the first time in over a year. Amusingly, that is six months and one day (sooo close to being poetic!) from the publication of this article.

It's been a lot of dancing with masks - I got special see-through masks specifically for the purpose (it feels marginally less dehumanizing). It means, though, I get to dance in my old ballroom, which is exquisite.

I still haven't built up the courage to show this article to many of my dancer friends - the ones that I have shown (most of whom I knew in college) were quite positive about it, for whatever that's worth.

I'm thinking of going back to dancing in this new year - relocation and COVID and relationship upheavals have delayed things, but given Omicron isn't as bad according to the boffins.

I will say that swing dancing in my experience as a Pinoy kid from suburbia, is probably one of the last places where you can get a bunch of TradCaths and campus leftists in the same space without coming to blows.

I'm thinking of going back to dancing in this new year - relocation and COVID and relationship upheavals have delayed things, but given Omicron isn't as bad according to the boffins.

I will say that swing dancing in my experience as a Pinoy kid from suburbia, is probably one of the last places where you can get a bunch of TradCaths and campus leftists in the same space without coming to blows.
As another pinoy kid from suburbia I've had a very similar experience.

Back