• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Space Bats & Butterflies - Book One

DaleCoz

I recently published the Kindle version of a compilation of the best AH scenarios and stories from my AH Zine "Dale Cozort's Alternate History Newsletter", which I recently renamed "Space Bats & Butterflies." From the blurb:

Seventeen of the best alternate history or time-travel stories, book excerpts, essays and world-building exercises from the ninety-plus issues of a long-running Alternate History zine.

+ Alternate World War II-The Moscow Option-1942 (first half of a book-length scenario/timeline)
+ Was a Japanese invasion of Hawaii possible?
+ Could you save Pearl Harbor? Roosevelt dies in late 1941. You take his place. Can you save Pearl Harbor? Do you want to?
+ Alternate timelines and the Prime Directive

Fiction stories and excerpts:

+ Modern US finds an alternate timeline where the Roman Empire stagnated and Europe never reached the New World. It’s 1492 all over again, but with an entire new world to exploit.

+ New England’s Indians make one last doomed attempt to push the English into the see, but this time they have a dangerous ally.

+ The Space Bats don’t invade Earth. They just collect human minds the way we collect rare coins.

+ Red Potter is unemployed, homeless and humanity’s last desperate chance in a time war that has lasted a million years.

+ World War II Europe meets an alternate North America cut off from the rest of the world since the American Revolution.

+ A boy and girl from alternate realities become friends, but they can’t both be real.

The Amazon link is; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H4HHCNH

The various shorts you posted on here were always intriguing @DaleCoz so delighted to see you have an anthology out. Will definitely check it out.

By the way, the second book in the series is out now. It is at https://www.amazon.com/Best-Space-Bats-Butterflies-Book-ebook/dp/B08LDQBNY6/

This finishes the Moscow Option 1942 scenario. It actually grew to book-length, somewhat over sixty thousand words and I toyed with the idea of making it a stand-alone. It's the most detailed World War II scenario I've ever done, covering both Europe and Pacific, getting into weapons details and taking the scenario into the postwar years, though not far. I really need to put a story in that world.

I had a third Space Bats Collection in the works, but it was built around a long novella and the novella turned into a full-fledged novel, so I turned it into a stand-alone and released it as New Galveston Book 1: Operation Croatoan. The idea is that the US Navy goes out on the historic Fleet Problem XX, a giant fleet exercise in February 1939, and returns to find that the Old World is the same as when they left, but the New World is a version where nobody from the Old World ever settled. The US Navy tries to build a new US, while the Axis schemes to take over the New World's wealth. Some cool stuff there, including a skirmish between the Bismarck and a US Colorado-class battleship. By the way, the "Croatoan" bit is not a misspelling of Croatian.

Back