• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

SLP 'Telephone' Maps and Graphics Game 2

I'll never quite understand your ability to produce such detailed professional maps in such a short time. I imagine that you've already got countless base maps just laying around from other projects, but... one for every occasion? How is this possible? I was kind dounted last time around because you sent me such an incredibly detailed war map of Communist insurrection in the Rhineland (ironically around Düsseldorf), and I was just sitting there going... how the fuck to do something worthy to follow up on this?!

As for the map... Independent Bavaria, Karelia, etc. Really want to know what the backstory is here.

I think I assumed a further east eastern front, neutralised Bavaria given independence post WWII and Ukraine being punished by Stalin.

As for basemaps, I've just got good google-fu and the David Rumsey map collection

I will say, I'm very happy I ended up having to swap with Max. I think the source material played to our respective strengths far more.

Heh!

The very moment I saw @Meadow's graphic, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. The image and backstory formed right there and then in my head.

I was actually kind of worried for a second once it became apparent that Tom shouldn't have sent it to me that you would take it away from me, since I was very much "No, no, no! I've got a brilliant idea here! Don't take it away!"

Also, it was refreshing to be able to do a map where slight errors in tracing or borders could just get a 'eh it's a political poster, adds to the effect'

I think I assumed a further east eastern front, neutralised Bavaria given independence post WWII and Ukraine being punished by Stalin.

As for basemaps, I've just got good google-fu and the David Rumsey map collection

And as for that thirty-two county Irish state?

I wish I had made something as good as what members like @Alex Richards and @Makemakean had posted, but I had completely forgotten that this was going on and whipped up a (by my standards) shoddy wikibox to keep the game rolling.

6GO7NRC.png

I saw that the EPP affiliate party in Ireland formed the official opposition, I saw that the faux-EU and Europe on the whole looked quite different, so I figured I could play fast and loose with using real life figures. With a united Ireland, I assumed that the anti-Treaty IRA had a better result at the 1922 June elections, and that they ultimately were victorious in the ensuing Civil War thanks to the numbers advantage they held over the Free State. Ergo, while there are splitters in the aftermath, Sinn Fein remains the dominant center-right party in Irish politics, and thus the dominant party in Irish politics period. A rotating cast of various centrist and center-left parties have battled with Sinn Fein over the years, but the long-dormant United Front (think of the trots in PBP) and the newly-formed Green-Justice-NL Alliance (Justice is a socially-liberal, fiscally-conservative outfit, National Labour was the Official Opposition brought low after years of humiliating defeat, and the Greens are self-explanatory) agreed to a coalition deal to end over a decade of SF government.

At least that was my headcanon - sent on over to @Edmund.

Last edited:
4LBVXhG.png

With a united Ireland, I assumed that the anti-Treaty IRA had a better result at the 1922 June elections, and that they ultimately were victorious in the ensuing Civil War thanks to the numbers advantage they held over the Free State. Ergo, while there are splitters in the aftermath, Sinn Fein remains the dominant center-right party in Irish politics, and thus the dominant party in Irish politics period.

My interpretation of how a united Ireland happened was, of course, a bit different, though like Avalanches I imagined them as the dominant party.

It looks like I had a similar idea as @Alex Richards - I saw "Agrarianism" and a united Ireland and just ran with a slightly different WWI meaning that, among other things, interwar agrarianism survived and got incorporated into the global conservative ideological movement, such as it is. I was originally planning to make the graphic much fancier, and then I realized I didn't actually have the skills for that; then I planned to have handwritten notes on the paper, but I had to leave campus and the printer at home doesn't do scans very well and is also almost out of ink.
j92aci1.png

Well that was a fun ride! We should do another one of these in a months' time or so.
Definitely, great fun.

Though given how many people are stuck at home, it may be viable to get another one going in a few days - provided Alex has the bandwidth to do such a thing, of course.

Definitely, great fun.

Though given how many people are stuck at home, it may be viable to get another one going in a few days - provided Alex has the bandwidth to do such a thing, of course.

I'm happy for someone else to run it while I see how it goes about participating. On the one hand a lot of stuff's been cancelled for me, on the other, if we're treating NHS workers and Firemen as the frontline troops I'm quite possibly in a Reserved Occupation in this analogy so could be working through to the bitter end.

Back