• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Serial Saturday: Down South In the Service of the Queen - Chapter The Fourth

Some of my favourite lines in this chapter. I love the Humphrey Lyttleton-esque practised oblivious nature in the face of smut and innuendo.

Seconded. Great work @David Flin - as well as being funny, your use of the language and tropes of old serials forces me to consider the difference between fiction about military life and the reality of it, in a way that I wouldn't with a straight account. Maybe that's an obvious thing to say. But I'm enjoying it anyway.

Thank you. I find it easy to tell (in about 90%) of cases when someone writing military events has/has not actually experienced it for themselves. I'm sure the same is true for other professions. I've certainly heard at least one teacher of my acquaintance who has expressed doubts about the plausibility of some fictions set in schools.

Still, I'm glad my taxpayer funded holiday of 27 years ago engages.
As a newly minted member of the Bar (though by no means unfamiliar with how courts operate, due to what some would call in other countries pupillage) I have to suppress my instinct to object to a lot of the... interesting... things lawyers do in legal dramas, lest I annoy my fellow viewers.

Thank you. I find it easy to tell (in about 90%) of cases when someone writing military events has/has not actually experienced it for themselves.

This goes double for people who try creative spelling to replicate a dialect. The conjugation of "to be" seems to give enough people trouble without adding "gone" as an integral part of the operation.

Back