• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Scenes We'd Like To See: Alternate Movies, Television & Other Pop Culture Miscellanea

From an alternate timeline where Bin Laden was assassinated in 1998 -- butterflying 9/11.

Enron is a 2015 American biographical crime comedy-drama film directed and co-written by Adam McKay. Co-written by Charles Randolph, it is based on the 2003 book The Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron by Bethany McLean centered around the rise and fall of Enron, as well as its ensuing scandal.

Cast:

Ken Kercheval as Kenneth Lay
Rob Corddry as Jeff Skilling
Marisa Tomei as Rebecca Mark
Martin Starr as Andy Fastow
Ken Jeong as Lou Pai
Spencer Garrett as Cliff Baxter
Rafe Spall as David Duncan
Sheryl Lee as Sherron Watkins
Amanda Crew as Bethany McLean
Christian Bale as George W. Bush
Toby Jones as Karl Rove
Steve Carell as John Ashcroft
Dana Ashbrook as Gray Davis
Tracy Letts as Henry Waxman

--

Dubya is a 2018 American biographical political satire black comedy-drama film. Directed, written, and co-produced by Adam McKay, the film follows George W. Bush and his path to becoming the second infamous one-term president named Bush.

Cast:

Leslie Bibb as Laura Bush
John Hillner as George H.W. Bush
Will Arnett as Jeb Bush
Jessica Walter as Barbara Bush
Leonardo DiCaprio as Dick Cheney
Toby Jones as Karl Rove
Jeremy Irons as Donald Rumsfeld
Jeffrey Wright as Colin Powell
Victor Fisher as Paul Wolfowitz
Matthew Broderick as Paul Bremer
Kerry Washington as Condolezza Rice
Mark Ruffalo as George Tenet
Clive Owen as Bill Clinton
Anna Gunn as Hillary Clinton
Robert Pattinson as John Edwards
Clancy Brown as John Kerry
Ioan Gruffudd as Tony Blair
Christian Slater as Al Gore
Igal Noar as Saddam Hussein

Last edited:
From an alternate timeline where Bin Laden was assassinated in 1998 -- butterflying 9/11.

Enron is a 2015 American biographical crime comedy-drama film directed and co-written by Adam McKay. Co-written by Charles Randolph, it is based on the 2003 book The Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron by Bethany McLean centered around the rise and fall of Enron, as well as its ensuing scandal.

Cast:

Ken Kercheval as Kenneth Lay
Rob Corddry as Jeff Skilling
Marisa Tomei as Rebecca Mark
Martin Starr as Andy Fastow
Ken Jeong as Lou Pai
Spencer Garrett as Cliff Baxter
Rafe Spall as David Duncan
Sheryl Lee as Sherron Watkins
Amanda Crew as Bethany McLean
Toby Jones as Karl Rove
Steve Carell as John Ashcroft
Dana Ashbrook as Gray Davis
Tracy Letts as Henry Waxman

--

Dubya is a 2018 American biographical political satire black comedy-drama film. Directed, written, and co-produced by Adam McKay, the film follows George W. Bush and his path to becoming the second infamous one-term president named Bush.

Cast:

Leslie Bibb as Laura Bush
John Hillner as George H.W. Bush
Will Arnett as Jeb Bush
Jessica Walter as Barbara Bush
Leonardo DiCaprio as Dick Cheney
Toby Jones as Karl Rove
Jeremy Irons as Donald Rumsfeld
Jeffrey Wright as Colin Powell
Victor Fisher as Paul Wolfowitz
Matthew Broderick as Paul Bremer
Kerry Washington as Condolezza Rice
Mark Ruffalo as George Tenet
Clive Owen as Bill Clinton
Anna Gunn as Hillary Clinton
Robert Pattinson as John Edwards
Clancy Brown as John Kerry
Ioan Gruffudd as Tony Blair
Christian Slater as Al Gore
Igal Noar as Saddam Hussein

Green Day - Cigarettes And Valentines Lyrics and Tracklist | Genius

Cigarettes and Valentines is the seventh studio album by the American rock band Green Day, released on April 9, 2003, by Reprise Records. As with their previous four albums, it was produced by Rob Cavallo in collaboration with the group. Recording sessions for Cigarettes and Valentines took place at Studio 880, in Oakland and Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood, both in California, between 2002 and 2003.

Track Listing
1. "Cigarettes and Valentines"

2. "Too Much Too Soon"

3. "Waste Away"

4. "Sleepyhead"

5. "Dropout"

6. "Walk Away"

7. "Wake Me Up When September Ends"

8. "End of the World"

9. "Broadway"

10. "Lately (One More Year)"

11. "Too Young"

12. "Olivia"

Last edited:
The Umbrella Academy is an American adult animated television series created by Gerard Way for Cartoon Network's late night programming block Adult Swim. It follows a dysfunctional family of adopted superhero siblings who reunite to solve the mystery of their father's death and the threat of an imminent apocalypse. The show premiered on September 14, 2007.

Way has stated that the biggest influence on the Umbrella Academy is his favorite writer, Grant Morrison and their work on Doom Patrol with DC Comics.

Throughout its run, the series has received critical acclaim for its writing, characters, humor, animation, and world building. It ended it's run on June 22, 2012, with a total of 40 episodes over the course of four seasons, with the total of three holiday specials. Way has discussed the possibility of a live action film adaptation of the show.

A while back I posted an AH scenario of WI the 1994 video game Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was the 4th Indy film:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is a 1994 action-adventure film directed by Steven Spielberg, with a story co-written with Hal Barwood and executive producer George Lucas. It is the fourth installment in the Indiana Jones franchise and a sequel to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989). Harrison Ford returned in the title role, with love interest Sophia Hapgood played by Julianne Moore. Other cast members include Max von Sydow as Nazi scientist Dr. Hans Ubermann, Stellan Skarsgård as Ubermann's associate Klaus Kerner, Nigel Havers as snobbish British archaeologist Charles Sternhart, Omar Sharif as Algiers antique dealer Omar Al-Jabber, and Alain Delon as French archaeologist and Jones' ally Alain Trottier.

Set on the eve of the Second World War in 1939 (after the Last Crusade), Indiana Jones looks for the legendary sunken city of Atlantis. Sophia Hapgood, an old co-worker of Indiana Jones who gave up her archaeological career to become a psychic, supports him in a journey from Tikal, French Algiers, the labyrinth of Knossos, to the lost city of Atlantis itself. The two partners are pursued by the Nazis who seek to use the colossus at the heart of Atlantis to ascend to godhood, and serve as the film's antagonists. The film was shot in Elstree Studios in Borehamwood, England, and on location in Tikal in Guatemala, Tunisia in North Africa, and Knossos in Crete.

The film was not as commercially successful as the previous Indiana Jones films, but was critically well received. Critics praised the story and research into Greek mythology, alongside the art direction, such as the inspiration taken by Gustav Dore's illustrations of the Inferno depicting Atlantis as a Dantean hellscape.

Well Nissim Khalifa a composer has orchestrated the game’s classic soundtrack, which gives an idea of what the film music could have sounded like. This is one example of the finale scene (with Dies Irae reference as in the game):

WOS Wrestling Brawl-Out War '23

Men's Classic Championship
Grado VS Legend

A whole season of Grado training in old-school British rules has led to this: can he keep discipline and dethrone the self-styled "best wrestler of all time"?

Women's Tag Championship
Outcasts VS Fizzie Goths

Saraya and Toni Storm's heel turn - afterva run as the unpopular underdogs - shocked the fan, but Jade the Poison Princess wants vengeance. Can Martina in "Session Goth" mode work as her replacement tag partner?

Loser Goes Home
Aja Kong VS Nyla Rose

Both powerhouses have been tripping over themselves trying to challenge Viper for the Women's Championship. One's leaving the country - but who?

The Gauntlet
Nitro VS Blackpool Combat Club

Nitro wants to disprove he's a "dancing prat" to Regal and will fight every trainee the Lord has in a ten minute time limit - what might be left of him?!

Women's Lucha Championship
Dynamite VS Electro

A new title as young Dynamite's let fame go to her head - will Electro bring her down to Earth or is there a new heel in the making?

Men's Championship
Pac VS Rampage

A year of combat leads to this: Pac has crushed Sysum, Bionic, and Dan Francisco, can the redemption-seeking Rampage end the reign of terror??

--

Idea is that a successful WOS on ITV means various wrestlers it had stick around, some UK-based AEW people stay here or do both promotions, some Britwres indies move up, and sone of the Gladiators 2024 go into wrestling

Last edited:
This video by Bullets & Blockbusters explores the various ways The Empire Strikes Back might have turned out. There was the low-budget Plan B in case Star Wars didn't recoup its costs, which became Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Allan Dean Foster; the collaboration with veteran screenwriter Leigh Brackett, which was cut short by her untimely death; and the fact that the soundstage initially booked for shooting TESB was destroyed in a fire, seriously disrupting the production schedule.

Here's a random pop culture musing around this cult-favourite sci-fi song from the late seventies from the Yellow Magic Orchestra.

Quincy Jones, upon hearing the song on a visit to Japan, had Michael Jackson record a cover which was intended to be the B-side for Thriller. However, that recording was never released on the Thriller album because Jones couldn't agree on royalties with the YMO and the original lyricist. There've been covers by Eric Clapton and Greg Phillinganes based on this recording - and a crappy edited version of the Jackson recording posthumously released in 2010 - the original demo was only released in 2022. It was, for a long time, a piece of lost media.

But what if Behind the Mask had been the B-side to Thriller? Could it have generated western interest in Japanese electric and pop music, just at a point when other Japanese pop culture (anime, manga and video games) were breaking out in a big way in the West? Might not seem that plausible, but I don't think anyone could've predicted the rise of K-Pop around 2005.

But what if Behind the Mask had been the B-side to Thriller? Could it have generated western interest in Japanese electric and pop music, just at a point when other Japanese pop culture (anime, manga and video games) were breaking out in a big way in the West? Might not seem that plausible, but I don't think anyone could've predicted the rise of K-Pop around 2005.
Love that song. I think an element that's forgotten about YMO was that there were fairly big during the late 70s/early 80s, not as huge as they were in Japan obviously but you have to be big enough to appear on Soul Train* in 1980. I think the big problem for this scenario is that the band was collapsing by 1982, Riyuchi Sakamoto saw further potential in his music career, there's some really awkward interviews around the time of Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence between the band and Sakamoto. However I could potentially see the Hosono and Takahashi possibly having bigger careers in the West from this, particularly Takahashi who spent a fair bit of the Mid 80s collaborating with Steve Jansen of Japan, so I could see some potential there maybe.

*I would be a bad sport to not share the video of them on Soul Train

I strongly suspect a Behind the Mask that made it onto Thriller probably would've sounded like Greg Phillinganes's cover more than anything else.

I can see that, I think Greg Phillinganes worked on Thriller so that makes, I can see some of that glorious Early 80s Synth-Funk style to it that would probably make it's way to being some top tier samples on an alt-90s Hip Hop album (slightly controversial opinion I think Early 80s Funk is good actually). I was found one of the Yukihiro Takahashi and Steve Jansen collaborations and it fits very well in that kind of 'Mid 80s Sophisti-Pop meets Electronic' style that I feel could have some long term sticking power in such a scenario you described.

Back