• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Review - War Plan Crimson, by Michael Cnudde

I have to admit I was disappointed that the book wasn't about the premptive invasion of America by the Canadians given for all the shit the Americans get for War Plan Red's optimism its not quite on the level of a pan continental invasion of a power with ten times your population.

Hey, thanks once again Andy, fantastic job on setting out my review!

There's so much here to unpack, with a mid-1930s American-Canadian/Empire war causing so many butterflies it's hard to keep track:
  • Patton v Montgomery: Canadian Boogaloo
  • HMS Hood vs USS New York: whoever wins - we lose!
  • J. Edgar Hoover, Antifascist Martyr!
  • Clash of the armoured titans as the American M2 faces the Vickers Mark II and Light Tank Mark VI
  • Mackenzie King ignoring the invasion of Canada in order to use a seance to contact the US President! (@Makemakean sues for breach of copyright
As I hope my review makes clear, this was an incredibly fun novel to read, with Mr Cnudde obviously taking a great deal of enjoyment in blending our 1930s with the sudden rise of fascist America

I have to admit I was disappointed that the book wasn't about the premptive invasion of America by the Canadians given for all the shit the Americans get for War Plan Red's optimism its not quite on the level of a pan continental invasion of a power with ten times your population.

It, uh

It is

Oh.

I knew the Canadian version was Crimson but the review focuses largely on the American side including a lot of talk of occupation of Canada so I thought it just changed the name as a slight ATL.

There's a lot I couldn't refer to without spoiling huge chunks of the plot - there really is an insane amount of things going on even halfway through the novel

Great review. This doesn't sound like my sort of thing at all but, I'm not going to lie, you've got me wanting to try it.

Great review. This doesn't sound like my sort of thing at all but, I'm not going to lie, you've got me wanting to try it.

I'll admit there were a few points where things perhaps got a tad too crowded, or followed the Second World War template too easily, down to a New York-State equivalent of Stalingrad. But it has a real charm to it, and this energy as Cnudde throws everything and then the kitchen sink into the plot and it somehow works.

The closest equivalent I can think of is a far more efficient, one-volume Turtledove series. Like if Turtledove had managed to distill one of the Southern Victory -ologies into a single title, without all the relentless padding.

Sounds excellent - how does one buy it however: it appears not to be available on Amazon.....

Sounds excellent - how does one buy it however: it appears not to be available on Amazon.....

Yes, not quite sure why - it's obly available on Smashwords, which is fairly new to me

Back