• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Review: The Shape of Things to Come

That is a very good adaptation, and especially the growing punchline of
the alt-history thinking they're the BETTER future, and Raven coming to agree, which means he has to force change in ours by kicking off similar bloody events. "This bad thing had to happen to make this better thing" is a common speculative fiction thing but not normally where, to us, these bad things are worse.

That is a very good adaptation, and especially the growing punchline of
the alt-history thinking they're the BETTER future, and Raven coming to agree, which means he has to force change in ours by kicking off similar bloody events. "This bad thing had to happen to make this better thing" is a common speculative fiction thing but not normally where, to us, these bad things are worse.

It is indeed. Especially given the hint that

Raven was their second attempt to restore their timeline. Their first attempt resulted in our timeline’s WWII.

On the whole, I think the Big Finish adaptation created a more compelling version of the story than the 1936 movie. That movie was very influential of course - from my father’s description of it, it had a similar impact to Threads in the Eighties.

The movie did have some impressive scenes and memorable lines (I paraphrase the description “fine pre-pestilence machine” sometimes when talking about the time before Covid), but felt more like a series of vignettes compared to the flowing narrative of the Big Finish adaptation.

In case anyone is curious about this adaption, Big Finish do have an excerpt from it available for free:

In case anyone is curious about this adaption, Big Finish do have an excerpt from it available for free:

I can't believe I didn't mention this in the article itself! 🤦‍♂️ Thanks for mentioning it on here, though!

Back