• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Review: The Greening of Mars

Great review.

One of my weird interests in the past was human travel to Mars, and I looked at a lot of proposed spacecraft. The possibly incorrect impression I got was that it was theoretically possible with 1960s technology, yet would have the same issues as any other megaprojects.

Thank you for the compliment. ☺

Somehow, despite using Astronautix for research for other pieces of both fact and fiction, I'd never come across that particular page of proposed human Mars missions. That Gemini proposal sounds fascinating, so I suspect there might be a future article or two there for the blog. Thanks @Coiler. 🤓

it was theoretically possible with 1960s technology, yet would have the same issues as any other megaprojects
That reminds me of what I thought when I read The Case for Mars by Robert Zubrin. Taking his ideas at face value they seemed great, but there was quite a bit of idealism there too. I assume he named it based on the 1981 conference (ref: p2 of this NASA paper).

Back