• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Review- Northern Fury: H-Hour, by Bart Gauvin and Joel Radunzel, published by Ursus Rising

Thanks @AndyC - it's a miracle! A World War Three thriller that I not only raced through, but which actually felt fresh and engaging. It's a bloody miracle for this genre, and fresh blood is so urgently needs. I mean it manages to do the complete opposite of what the genre currently looks like:

• Characters that feel fleshed-out and actually engaging, rather than one-note cardboard cut-outs ready to fall over
  • Action that is tense! and action-packed! without feeling like an AAR for Hearts of Iron: WW3
  • A plot that actually understands that espionage and sabtoage means more than 'spiking Bundeswehr fuel supplies three miles behind the front'
  • Also, somehow, a plot that isn't 'And teh evil Soviets invaded because they is evil!!1!'
Strongly recommended, and genuinely can't wait for the next in the series

There were a lot of good factors here.

• Authors are genuine military veterans.
  • Likewise, the authors knew how to use wargaming in the best possible way (get a general feel) rather than the worst (do a rote de facto let's play)
  • Treating the genre with just the right amount of respect-it's a clear love letter to the classic technothrillers, but there's still the sense of seeing flaws "ie, do we really need to describe every tank as a T-64BV1K or make the Soviets clueless supervillains? I don't think so."

Back