• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Review - Alternate History Shorts: Tulip House (Paul van Rompaye) and Sons of York (Ade Grant)

Thanks Andy. These are wonderful short stories, and frankly a rarity in the genre at the moment; authors publishing individual AH shorts is so surprising that I snapped them up regardless of potential quality when I saw them.

Fortunately they're both great, Tulip House in particular. If you do read any, please read it; it's a fantastically envisioned piece and so original in content and the areas it explores

Thanks Andy. These are wonderful short stories, and frankly a rarity in the genre at the moment; authors publishing individual AH shorts is so surprising that I snapped them up regardless of potential quality when I saw them.

Something I've noticed from my experience at Fuldapocalypse is what it's like looking at a genre that has the "Sturgeon Ratio" of quality but is otherwise small. It was what I felt with WWIII stories, and is a huge reason why I shifted over to "cheap thrillers" in general. With those thrillers, there's a lot more of them, a surprising amount of stylistic diversity, and even lower-quality ones can still be very entertaining. With technothrillers and Hackett-wannabes, there's fewer of them, a large amount of similarity, and lower-quality ones are just rote infodump-fests that would be hard to read and much harder to review.

I've long felt there's something similar, if not quite as bad (the pool isn't nearly as small as the "WW3" one) with alternate history. So seeing something done well must feel good.

Well, you sold me on Tulip House (and I grabbed Battle Over Britain on its free download deal). Where the heck else would I see anything like this??

I've now got around to reading Tulip House and the review was not wrong. What a clever, twisty little story! Where the modern witch burning bit of 'local colour' ends up going, I did not expect.

Back