• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Review: Altered Europa

Great review.

You're right about anthologies being a mixed bag, I've found that to be the case for most of the ones I've read (and not just for alternate history).

Great review.

You're right about anthologies being a mixed bag, I've found that to be the case for most of the ones I've read (and not just for alternate history).

It was odd, whereas most anthologies dip up and down in quality, Altered Europa started poorly but really rocketed up in quality after a few stories. And shout out to @Thande and @Bruno in particular - their stories were some of the best in the entire anthology

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Skinny.

Fun fact, due to a delay in publication (for entirely understandable reasons on the publisher's part), both of these stories were written well before @Meadow even founded Sea Lion Press. In particular AEIOU was written in a frenzy on a holiday in Northumberland, and in a sense I took the opportunity to be a bit more pulpy and Turtledovey precisely because the Martinus anthologies include a wide variety of interpretations of what AH is. So I took a POD which (as a secondary one in LTTW) I have tried to do seriously in the past, and had fun with it instead.

It was odd, whereas most anthologies dip up and down in quality, Altered Europa started poorly but really rocketed up in quality after a few stories. And shout out to @Thande and @Bruno in particular - their stories were some of the best in the entire anthology

Thanks!

I liked how I got to experiment with several different styles; Tom and I did a story that could easily be seen on some BBC documentary, while the one I did with Ben was basically something that would have starred Dennis Hopper.

I'll certainly be downloading that in the future. One nitpick I have is that I think the continent of Europe on the cover ought to be blank. You see the modern-day borders are there. If the anthology is alternative history stories, ergo the borders ought to be different.
Hmm, "The Twenty Year Reich" features a "brutal civil war" and heavily-implied Pyrrhic victories? Good riddance to the lot of them. It's a great shame we only read of the first day of that civil war. "The Fourth Pandemic" was interesting, but "A.E.I.O.U." was, oh my goodness, dazzlingly brilliant. I read it in one sitting in the car down the road to northern Hampshire last Friday.

Last edited:
Might as well share this here, now that it is officially announced.

Two of the stories in the anthology have been nominated for the Sideways Award!

Official announcement:

Congratulations to the Sidewise Award Nominees
Short Form
Tom Anderson & Bruno Lombardi, “N'oublions Jamais,” Altered Europa, edited by Martin T. Ingham, Martinus Publishing, 2017
Dave D’Alessio, “The Twenty Year Reich,” Altered Europa, edited by Martin T. Ingham, Martinus Publishing, 2017
Nisi Shawl, “Sun River,” Clockwork Cairo: Steampunk Tales from Egypt, edited by Matthew Bright, Twopenny Books, 2017
Harry Turtledove, “Zigeuner,” Asimov’s, 9-10/17

Just read over the review again and noticed something:

“Beginning with the death of William II, King of Prussia, on the battlefield of Kunersdorf in 1759,”

Is this supposed to be Frederick II or am I completely off base?

Back