• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Review - Altered America (anthology; edited by Martin T. Ingham)

The review showed up today on my FB feed. While I share the enthusiasm for @Bruno's stories, I am a bit puzzled by this:

Now, the story that Mr Gainor provides may not strictly fall within the purview of alternate history, but despite that it's an enjoyable romp that blends together the transgressive nature of politics, an overweening reverence for the Founding Fathers, the Constitution and 'the good old days' and cutting-edge technology to create an intriguing political thriller that teasingly answers the question - 'what would Washington, Jefferson and Madison make of current-day America? How would their values clash with ours? Like many such stories, it ends before it can realy get into the more counterfactual elements of such a timeline
This seems like a very charitable way of saying that Dan Gainor's story is a political author tract thinly disguised as alternate history and doesn't, in fact, actually belong in the anthology.

The review showed up today on my FB feed. While I share the enthusiasm for @Bruno's stories, I am a bit puzzled by this:

This seems like a very charitable way of saying that Dan Gainor's story is a political author tract thinly disguised as alternate history and doesn't, in fact, actually belong in the anthology.

Well, yes, I'd stand by both my original review, and your summary of the story. "Let's clone the Founding Fathers, raise the resulting offspring to be selfless patriots, and then spend a third of the story glorifying how well they've done and how They Are The Selfless And Patriotic Reawakening America Needs To Clear The D.C. Swamp" is neither counterfactual or really a story to be completely honest

Back