• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Reid In Braid

Well done mate, there's been a lot of interest about this and deservedly so. From what I've read so far it's even better than the original TL.

How long did it take you to work out the precise point of transition between Flower of Scotland and the Soviet National Anthem?

Not to be one of those guys but that's Highland Cathedral rather than Flower of Scotland. I don't blame you for mixing the two up as many Scots agree that the former is a better tune and should be the national anthem instead of the latter.

I was always wondering what happened with the OG (or rather if you had any plans with it); fantastic stuff in any case Ryan, and I hotly anticipate getting a copy.

Not to be one of those guys but that's Highland Cathedral rather than Flower of Scotland. I don't blame you for mixing the two up as many Scots agree that the former is a better tune and should be the national anthem instead of the latter.

Excuse me while I find a wall to bang my head against.

Please don't be, although I'm interested as to what you were composing. Was it for a TL?

Nah, about five years ago, long before I found this or the other place. Just wanted to have it on hand in case there was ever a contest for it. I think I still have it on hand somewhere.

Nah, about five years ago, long before I found this or the other place. Just wanted to have it on hand in case there was ever a contest for it. I think I still have it on hand somewhere.

Found it. Wasn't as good as I remember.

Land of our fathers you will always be!
We will be faithful to our old country!
In times of danger we will fight for thee!
Lead thee to glory and to victory!
Now the pipes call us from the hills, resounding through all the land!
Spirit of Scotia, our ancient guard! Protect us all our days!

First a communist Ireland, now a communist Scotland? Is some-one planning to write a story on a communist England, and communist Wales? I am reading "Reid in Braid" now, and I am enjoying it thus far.

Terrible misfortune befalls the entire population of Eriskay after the S.S. Politician Incident. No book or comedy film from this, I'm afraid. And also, living in the Western Isles, I know a few people from Eriskay, and I know how severely this would affect the neighbouring Isles.

Last edited:
Thanks to @RyanF for pointing me to the thread - I missed this one when it was first published but read it when I got the Tranche 10 books. I liked the structure of this one a lot, glimpses of a setting throughout different eras with little unconnected vignettes and cameos. It also did a good job of making what sounds on the face of it an absurd scenario feel a lot more plausible--not going into too much detail and putting the separation in the same chaotic post-WW1 period that birthed a lot of oddities in OTL. I also liked how the other former members of the UK were always involved on the fringes of things; my only criticism of Many a Hero Untold, which Omund compares this to, was that sometimes it felt as though GB was just kind of 'there' but not as involved as one might expect.

Otherwise, the idea of a small communist state that finds itself with disproportionate oil wealth is a kind of intriguing scenario in and of itself and I almost want to see it done somewhere more 'conventional' too.

I must admit I'm a bit surprised you've not had any negative reviews from people unable to understand some of the heavy phonetic Scots dialogue, but perhaps people who'd do that wouldn't buy it in the first place.

Thanks @Thande!

I must admit I'm a bit surprised you've not had any negative reviews from people unable to understand some of the heavy phonetic Scots dialogue, but perhaps people who'd do that wouldn't buy it in the first place.

Me too, pleasantly surprised, but your probably right anyone who would be really put off by it might not buy it in the first place.

I managed to get through the phoenetics, for which I thank the UK's - often Scottish - comic creators for going "better make it clear this character's the Scottish one"!

The short stories and the progression of time is great. I especially liked the grim progression with the prison camp story and the punchline with the backpacking students.

Coming back to the phonetic Scot's...well, it's sort-of like reading "A Clockwork Orange" for the first time, and gaining fluency in the Nadtsat as you go.

It's a black mess as far as I'm concerned, since working through the England orthography used to scribe the Scotts is one layer of confusion too far for me to handle right now.

Back