• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Progressive Republican Cabinet Secretary

SSgtC

I'm in the process of writing a TL where Roosevelt wins the Republican Nomination for President in 1912 and later wins the General Election. I need suggestions for who he might nominate for Postmaster General and Secretary of Agriculture. I've got the other posts filled. I'm drawing a blank on who would have the clout in the Republican Party and the Progressive Ideals to be nominated by TR. Any suggestions?

Bainbridge Colby would be a good fit for Postmaster off the top of my head. Man was an empty Progressive suit before Wilson plucked him up.

Gifford Pinchot would have absolutely been the Secretary of Agriculture since he was why TR has moved the Forest Service over to it. Probably would have seen the department renamed to encompass all Land Management and to steal quite a few marches on the Interior Department as such.

I'll look up Colby. Thank you! I was actually thinking Pinchot as Secretary of the Interior. But maybe I'll switch him. What about Henry C Wallace?

I'll look up Colby. Thank you! I was actually thinking Pinchot as Secretary of the Interior. But maybe I'll switch him. What about Henry C Wallace?
The thing is Pinchot is the reason why the Forrest Service was transfered to Agriculture, he wanted to cleave them off for ideology and power politics.

Of the top of my head I can't think of any problems with Wallace.

That said I should warn you, short of him winning the Republican Nomination, and probably with Taft being dead, there's not much of a way for TR to win in 1912.

The thing is Pinchot is the reason why the Forrest Service was transfered to Agriculture, he wanted to cleave them off for ideology and power politics.
Hmmmm. But what to do with James Wilson then? He'd been Secretary of Agriculture since 1897. Though TR's and Taft's entire time in office. (Full disclosure, I missed that fact when I started researching.) I don't think TR would just through him out into the Cold. Would he even consider taking over as Secretary of the Interior?

Hmmmm. But what to do with James Wilson then? He'd been Secretary of Agriculture since 1897. Though TR's and Taft's entire time in office. (Full disclosure, I missed that fact when I started researching.) I don't think TR would just through him out into the Cold. Would he even consider taking over as Secretary of the Interior?
At that point it seems like it's time to move on

That said I should warn you, short of him winning the Republican Nomination, and probably with Taft being dead, there's not much of a way for TR to win in 1912.
Actually, this timeline ties into another one I've written. The actual POD is Titanic surviving her brush with the Iceberg and several important people supporting TR over Taft. And yes, TR does win the Nomination for the Republican Party. Barely, but he does.

Actually, this timeline ties into another one I've written. The actual POD is Titanic surviving her brush with the Iceberg and several important people supporting TR over Taft. And yes, TR does win the Nomination for the Republican Party. Barely, but he does.
I'm not sure that's likely but if the worst parts of the falling out can be patched over perhaps Taft can get himself the Chief Justice out of the bargain and leave the White House with the dignity that TR was trying to take from him?

I'm not sure that's likely but if the worst parts of the falling out can be patched over perhaps Taft can get himself the Chief Justice out of the bargain and leave the White House with the dignity that TR was trying to take from him?
That actually is part of it. One of the people who died on Titanic was a close friend of both men (US Army Major Archibald Butt). ITTL, he helps patch things up between the two men (at least publicly). And yes, The Supreme Court is definitely in play for Taft.

Back