• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Prequel Problems: Star Trek Federation vs First Contact

fun article!

it's always nice when people talk about obscure franchise novels, a lot of fun to read.
Agreed, it's a neat rabbit hole - though (I was a little surprised to learn) Federation is one of the best-selling Star Trek novels of all time. I know you meant obscure from the POV of the average person not invested in said franchise, though.

I read Federation back in 2012, having had the paperback for awhile at that point. It’s a novel that’s hard not to adore if you’re a Trek fan, and in many ways it’s what everyone wanted Generations to be that it wasn’t. Indeed, that film still feels like a middling quality TNG two-parter with a TOS prologue and epilogue to bring it up toward the two hour mark.

I will say that novels being superseded by on-screen events didn’t stop either Federation or the earlier alt-first contact novel Strangers From The Sky getting reprinted in paperback as part of the Trek 50th in 2006. Nor stopped them from selling well on Kindle even now.

It's been a long time since I've read Federation but I remember liking it, especially the near-future bits, most especially the ones that take place in Britain.

Back