• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Prequel Problems: Aaron Allston and the Awesome Anticlimax

I was lucky enough to read Courtship before I read Wraith Squadron, and its sequels, and this did indeed work better. However, having read Courtship some years before Wraith (I was in the 'read all the SW books I can' phase, what can I say), I then decided to re-read it after those for the 'conclusion' and was, indeed, disappointed. I agree that the former is one of the weaker SW books (though the part near the end where Luke gains additional insight into the link between 'life' and the Force isn't too bad) and the latter is still one of my favourites for many of the reasons you give (along with Starfighters of Adumar which is good enough that it could almost stand alone outwith the wider SW universe, with not too many tweaks).

ps I wasn't aware that Allston had passed away; very sad to read that.

I assumed that this was something to do with naming shenanigans, but no, Aaron Allston is an actual person.

I assumed that this was something to do with naming shenanigans, but no, Aaron Allston is an actual person.
After working at a company where my first meeting with HR was with two people whose surnames were Window and Sill, and who had a colleague whose surname was Kiss, I now pretty much assume any name belongs to an actual person, no matter how strange it sounds.

I do wonder if he benefited from that on the old fiction shelves. One of these days I want to read his non-SW stuff.

I was lucky enough to read Courtship before I read Wraith Squadron, and its sequels, and this did indeed work better. However, having read Courtship some years before Wraith (I was in the 'read all the SW books I can' phase, what can I say), I then decided to re-read it after those for the 'conclusion' and was, indeed, disappointed. I agree that the former is one of the weaker SW books (though the part near the end where Luke gains additional insight into the link between 'life' and the Force isn't too bad) and the latter is still one of my favourites for many of the reasons you give (along with Starfighters of Adumar which is good enough that it could almost stand alone outwith the wider SW universe, with not too many tweaks).

ps I wasn't aware that Allston had passed away; very sad to read that.
As I said, I felt there are some good scenes in Courtship (the sabacc game stands out) but it suffers from the usual tonal inconsistency problem with SW books - it's much more towards the "I bid thee Dark Greetings" end of the spectrum and the villains are as cardboard as the ones from the Disney sequel trilogy you know what I mean.

Back