• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

PODs of the Thirty Years War XXVIII

Aaaaah, Count Karl Gustav Wrangel. We've not seen the last of him.

He was Swedish nobility and built a castle at Skokloster. His father had a manor there. Well, manor. By any contemporary continental European standards, it was just a house for a well-to-do man. But by Swedish standards, manor. Karl Gustav Wrangel grew so rich through his campaigns in Germany, and had access to the wider cultural phenomena occurring on the continent, that he resolved to build something new and impressive. He was also friends with future King Christian X from his campaigning.

And that leads us to Skokloster slott, the truly magnificent Baroque castle still standing and preserved beautifully, which I had the chance to have a tour guide of in the summer of 2011. I'm linking the Swedish page because it has much more pictures. The guide said Wrangel was made armorer for the realm and earned a bad reputation amongst weaponsmiths for wanting to test their creations before he bought them. His collection of arms is something to behold. There are also some unfinished rooms as a later king (Christian XI, I believe) created new taxes which nearly bankrupted even the wealthiest nobles.

And that leads us to Skokloster slott, the truly magnificent Baroque castle still standing and preserved beautifully, which I had the chance to have a tour guide of in the summer of 2011. I'm linking the Swedish page because it has much more pictures. The guide said Wrangel was made armorer for the realm and earned a bad reputation amongst weaponsmiths for wanting to test their creations before he bought them. His collection of arms is something to behold. There are also some unfinished rooms as a later king (Christian XI, I believe) created new taxes which nearly bankrupted even the wealthiest nobles.

That is a very nice manor yes.

Lovely picture selection as usual @Youngmarshall

That is a very nice manor yes.

Lovely picture selection as usual @Youngmarshall

What I was calling the manor was the previous one lying in front.

Skokloster_lilla_huset_2013.jpg

Doesn't have the same 'we just looted Germany for a decade and a half running' energy, does it?

What I was calling the manor was the previous one lying in front.

Skokloster_lilla_huset_2013.jpg

Doesn't have the same 'we just looted Germany for a decade and a half running' energy, does it?

No that's more 'my weekend pad in the Welsh Countryside when I'm tired of looting Germany'

Back