• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

PODs of the Thirty Years War XL

Greatest French Military Minds:
Nobody:
Absolutely Nobody:
Greatest French Military Minds: "If we attack their fortifcations frontally they'll run out of bullets before we run out of men!"

Everyone has bad days and sometimes you just have to eat the shit, but there seems a fairly easy POD where the Bavarians have more ammo and the debate is "if the chucklefucks had seen the obviously suicidal plan for what it was and tried something else."

Greatest French Military Minds:
Nobody:
Absolutely Nobody:
Greatest French Military Minds: "If we attack their fortifcations frontally they'll run out of bullets before we run out of men!"

Everyone has bad days and sometimes you just have to eat the shit, but there seems a fairly easy POD where the Bavarians have more ammo and the debate is "if the chucklefucks had seen the obviously suicidal plan for what it was and tried something else."

Oh definitely. d'Enghien/Le Grand Condé had a favoured strategy that worked astoundingly well in some field battles- basically lead from the front, make a daring attack, punch through the enemy and then roll up the entire army- but was basically the absolute worst strategy possible when dealing with a complex system of layered fortifications in a narrow valley on steep hills.

Turenne's strategy would have forced a Bavarian retreat (though not allowed for the opening up of the Rhineland in the same way) with far fewer French casualties. On the other hand, I can't see Turenne managing to pull off something like Rocroi.

As an aside, I've just posted something playing around with the scenario I originally introduced in the second of these articles here.

Oh definitely. d'Enghien/Le Grand Condé had a favoured strategy that worked astoundingly well in some field battles- basically lead from the front, make a daring attack, punch through the enemy and then roll up the entire army- but was basically the absolute worst strategy possible when dealing with a complex system of layered fortifications in a narrow valley on steep hills.

Somebody had an Alexander complex.

Him dying really throws a wrench in all the later French domestic turmoil.

Back