• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Other Ideologies: Eurocommunism

Holy bells this is a complex one, though again @Uhura's Mazda I think you've managed to deftly navigate it all.

Love the snark btw
I read so much turgid Communist-speak while refreshing my memory for this that I got quite irritated at the injustice of having to write about such irredeemable dullards - that's where the snark comes from in this one.

I like it, although I think it's good to point out that in Spain, Eurocommunism didn't outlast Carrillo. He would be kicked out by the so-called 'Afghans' and replaced with Gerardo Iglesias [1] in 1983 (after the crap electoral result in 1982), who went back to the orthodoxy of republicanism and more old-style communism while maintaining close ties to the activist left in the wake of the 1986 NATO referendum.

[1] No relation to either the PSOE's Pablo Iglesias or Podemos' Pablo Iglesias.

I like it, although I think it's good to point out that in Spain, Eurocommunism didn't outlast Carrillo. He would be kicked out by the so-called 'Afghans' and replaced with Gerardo Iglesias [1] in 1983 (after the crap electoral result in 1982), who went back to the orthodoxy of republicanism and more old-style communism while maintaining close ties to the activist left in the wake of the 1986 NATO referendum.

[1] No relation to either the PSOE's Pablo Iglesias or Podemos' Pablo Iglesias.
Yes, that's well worth mentioning. I was trying to get across the idea (which can be disputed) that those ties and the new structures they led to were part of the ideological legacy of the Eurocommunist period. I was also trying to keep it down to about 2k words.

Doing some clicking around after reading this, I found out that the CPUSA had an equivalent reformist split, not after 1956 or 1968, but in 1991 over the coup against Gorbachev - which the party leadership supported and the New-Left-adjacent types led by Angela Davis and Pete Seeger opposed. A little late to the party.

The idea of loans and mortgages qualifying business owners and professionals as members of the proletariat is kind of intellectually interesting and kind of stupid sophistry at the same time, in the best tradition of micro-ideology ideas. Nice work.

Interesting - I'd never really seen the French as particularly Euro (this may be influenced by most of my understanding of the PCF coming from a book about one Eurocommunist cell/section that was feeling squeezed in the run-up to the 23rd Congress, although it did make some of these points about internal discipline). I suppose an interesting TL on the French ones would be no breakup of the Union de Gauche in 1978.

Back