• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

On Marvel's 'What If...?' as Alternate History

Really enjoyed those stories when the original character was familiar to me. At least one copout -29-30 with Captain America winding up dictator. Instead of having him turning out to be the Red Skull in disguise, why not Steve Rogers himself deciding to be a dictator? Power corrupts,after all.

Has anyone ever speculated about the Earth if Krypton hadn't blown up? What would the lives of Luthor, Lana,Lois, Jimmy, Pete, Perry, the Kents et al have been like without Superman around?

World without hero timelines are awkward in multi hero properties.

You make it so the world is just as good without Superman and it devalues Clark, make it considerably worse and it devalues everyone else.

You make it so the world is just as good without Superman and it devalues Clark, make it considerably worse and it devalues everyone else.

I don't think that is necessarily true, there seem to be plenty of Elseworld stories where there is no or a different Superman.

As for Luthor, it seems evenly split between him saving the world himself or just being the same as he always was with a different excuse without Superman.

Has anyone ever speculated about the Earth if Krypton hadn't blown up? What would the lives of Luthor, Lana,Lois, Jimmy, Pete, Perry, the Kents et al have been like without Superman around?

You'd end up with something akin to The Nail (reviewed by @Charles EP M. on the blog) minus the specifics of its ending, I'd imagine.

Yeah, I did like Alan Davis putting some thought into why it'd matter if just one superhero was missing and going with "he fits a social niche the others cannot"

Luthor presumably kept his hair -maybe stuck to being a scientist and undoubtedly multimillionaire. Pete's life pretty similar, ditto the Kents and Perry White . Lois and Lana had more normal love lives.

Back