• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

No "Stop ERA" Movement?

MAC161

Published by SLP
I recently read an article in the Nation discussing Phyllis Schlafly as depicted in the series Mrs. America, which included a passing mention of foreign policy being her first choice of causes ("anti-feminism was a fallback"). What if, due to some change or other, she had continued to pursue that first choice, to the point of gaining a government post (ambassador, undersecretary, etc.; I'm not certain what positions she would've been able to get from such an old boy's club) or an influential policy think-tank role? Would there have been no "Stop ERA" movement, or at least one that lacked the drive and influence it had in OTL, thus allowing ERA to be passed?

I'm not exactly sure but at the very least I think it would enshrine things like the various Civil Rights Acts and Title IX into the constitution, resulting in them being unable to be repealed/not renewed? I mean we're almost 100% not going to see a full reversion of civil rights to 1950s levels, thank god, but even then, this would provide protection so that can't happen in the first place?

Just my 2c

I'd like to know what people think what changes a successful ERA would have made down the line.
A lot stronger equal-pay and equal-hire cases from the get-go, for one. Might herald in a more comprehensive acceptance of women in combat service.

It would in the long term create a whole constitutional untangling (does alimony violate the ERA? What about most state' child support regimes? Then there's the whole bathroom bill saga.)

Back