• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

NEW RELEASE: In the Absence of Powder

I am looking forward to hearing people's reactions to the book. It is the most parallelist AH story I have written, i.e. the majority of people, places, events are the same as in our history, with the one big difference, no gunpowder. I accept some will argue that without gunpowder the probability would be that history would not have got to the situation of still having a Battle of Waterloo featuring Wellington, Napoleon and Blücher. However, it does allow me to focus on the impact of the one change which most concerned me.

I must say I had great fun coming up with all the different types of weaponry and armour the different units of the various armies would use. The Napoleonic Wars often interest people because of the rich variety of units and their uniforms. Finding appropriate equivalents in a non-gunpowder world was interesting and I hope people enjoy what I selected, especially to bring out the difference between the units and the three armies.

I am looking forward to hearing people's reactions to the book. It is the most parallelist AH story I have written, i.e. the majority of people, places, events are the same as in our history, with the one big difference, no gunpowder. I accept some will argue that without gunpowder the probability would be that history would not have got to the situation of still having a Battle of Waterloo featuring Wellington, Napoleon and Blücher. However, it does allow me to focus on the impact of the one change which most concerned me.

I must say I had great fun coming up with all the different types of weaponry and armour the different units of the various armies would use. The Napoleonic Wars often interest people because of the rich variety of units and their uniforms. Finding appropriate equivalents in a non-gunpowder world was interesting and I hope people enjoy what I selected, especially to bring out the difference between the units and the three armies.
What it reminded me of was a 1700s (as in written then not just set then) Chinese story in which Chang'e decides gunpowder has made warfare dishonourable and causes it to stop working. Anyway I think this kind of parallelism is fine providing it's explicitly presented as more of a thought experiment.

Back