• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Never Mind The Bollocks

Once I had the idea "Blair wanted to be into music so WHAT IF....", i couldn't not write it
It was a fairly common thing to bring up at the time. Can't find the clip but I think it was Bremner, Bird and Fortune that had a New Labour band fronted by Blair, with Clinton on saxophone as a guest star. (The only wrong note was that Robin Cooke was on drums, whereas in reality it turned out a few years later it would be David Blunkett when he and Blair played together on a school visit or something).

It was a fairly common thing to bring up at the time. Can't find the clip but I think it was Bremner, Bird and Fortune that had a New Labour band fronted by Blair, with Clinton on saxophone as a guest star. (The only wrong note was that Robin Cooke was on drums, whereas in reality it turned out a few years later it would be David Blunkett when he and Blair played together on a school visit or something).
It was Reeves and Mortimer actually.

It was Reeves and Mortimer actually.

Aha, that's why I couldn't find it! Of course you're quite right, it seemed out of character for them but they did do Blair a fair bit in the 2002 Shooting Stars series. "It was Tony Blair!" And I got mixed up slightly, Cooke was on bongos and Mowlam on drums.

I said when this was first published that it has a wonderfully distinctive voice, a voice so strong you can practically hear the music riding beneath it and the cigarette hanging out of the narrator's mouth.

Which sparks the idle thought: what alternate history, on this site or elsewhere, would lend itself to monologues?

I once had an idea for a vignette where "Michael"* becomes the leader of the Conservative Party in the 1980s then resigns in the 1997 in favour of his annointed successor, "Toneh"**.

* Jagger.
** 'Adleh' ou' a' Spandah Balleh.
I think somebody did a Mick Jagger as Tory Leader vignette, once upon a time. Can't remember who.

I think somebody did a Mick Jagger as Tory Leader vignette, once upon a time. Can't remember who.

I know there's the whole "Jagger went to LSE with a view to becoming a politician or a journalist" angle but the idea for me actually came from learning that Heseltine was the editor of a mod fanzine in the 1960s.

Back