• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Naval Gazing Part 7: We’re All Sunk By A Battle Submarine

AndyC

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses
Patreon supporter
Published by SLP
You could have claimed that in an earlier draft of Shakespeare's play, he considered having the Turkish fleet sunk by a submersible rather than a storm. And the Turkish fleet could then say "We're all sunk by Othello's submarine"

Tabac Iberez

Impetious
Published by SLP
I'm still trying to figure out how Ironshark happened as a name. The only thing shark-like about subs is their inherent smell; sort of like old blood mixed with the saccharine whiff of dissolving lead paint.

Charles EP M.

Published by SLP
There were a number of successful trials, but Napoleon cancelled the project after visiting at a point where Fulton had disassembled the submarine, and deciding (despite eyewitnesses) it had all been a fake by a charlatan. The annoyed Fulton tried to take his invention to Napoleon’s enemy Britain instead, but the Royal Navy was not interested
These were two potential PODs for early submarine warfare that I didn't expect to see!

Thande

David Miliband reacts only
Published by SLP
These were two potential PODs for early submarine warfare that I didn't expect to see!
There were a lot of things proposed (or used in a limited way) in the Napoleonic Wars that seem way too modern out of context - gas warfare, rockets and so on. I often feel the 'weird Napoleonic-era superweapon Luftwaffe '46 style' genre is underdone; one of Patrick O'Brian's earlier Aubrey-Maturin novels is set on a failed superweapon rocket ship that has been (badly) converted back to a conventional one. A lot of stuff in LTTW was basically me taking some of this and turning up the knob (as with the Chappe semaphore and the Cugnot steam tractors).