• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Naval Gazing Part 10 – World War 2: Electric Boogaloo

I got halfway through this one before realising it was going to have to be at least 2 articles, even given the relatively shallow overview I'm giving here. I also nearly forgot Mers el-Kébir, the French posters would not have let me live that one down!

I got halfway through this one before realising it was going to have to be at least 2 articles, even given the relatively shallow overview I'm giving here. I also nearly forgot Mers el-Kébir, the French posters would not have let me live that one down!

I've heard it argued that the RN's finest hour was WWII as for the first time in centuries they lacked the resources to do everything they needed to do and were facing foes that could and did inflict serious reverses on them. Which hadn't really been true since the 1700s.

One thing that should be mentioned. The Germans didn't actually build as many U-Boats as the British expected/allowed for. A relatively simple POD might be the Germans do build more U-Boats early on but the British fail to react because they already expected a similar number when making their plans. Not sure how much difference it would make if the first happy time was even more of a bloodletting.

I can't help but remember that one Italian on AH.Com who whilst in no way a wheraboo always took affront at the Italian's being portrayed as cartoonish morons in WWII without ever actually being able to provide evidence to the contrary.

Back