• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Nanwe's Maps and Graphics Thread

So from doing research into the electoral laws of 1871, 1878 and 1890, combined with the INE data from the censuses of 1860 and 1877, I can give you the first instalment in what I hope will be the start of me mapping the constituencies of the Bourbon Restoration. Now, in some provinces, these constituencies only lasted until 1899-1900, when the lost 46 seats originally allocated to Cuba and Puerto Rico were redistributed among the provinces of the country.

The original constituencies of the province of Valladolid were six single-member ones between 1871 and until 1878. The constituencies were:
Valladolid: corresponding to the city's limits. 43,364 eligible voters
La Nava del Rey: corresponding to the judicial district of Nava del Rey and some towns from the districts of La Mota del Marqués and Medina del Campo. 42,842 eligible voters.
Peñafiel: corresponding to the judicial district of Peñafiel, plus some towns from the district of Valladolid and Olmedo. 40,593 eligible voters
Medina de Rioseco: corresponding to most of the towns of the judicial district of Medina de Rioseco, and some from Mota del Marqués and Valladolid. 41,974 eligible voters
Medina del Campo: Most of the judicial districts of Medina del Campo and Olmedo. 39,730 eligible voters
Medina del Campo: The Villalón judicial district and some towns from the district of Medina de Rioseco. 38,499 eligible voters

The first electoral law of the Restauración (the 1878-1879 laws) however, not only reimposed indirect elections and censitary suffrage as opposed to universal manhood suffrage for direct elections used since 1868 but also changed somewhat the electoral map. Whereas the 1871 law had created 447 FPTP constituencies, the 1878 one instead merged certain constituencies into multi-member ones in urban areas (i.e. Madrid's 8 FPTP seats became a single, 8-member seat) and also introduced new provisions for elections for Cuba's 30 and Puerto Rico's 16 MPs. Although I still have to research that. In total, out of 447 MPs, 88 were elected from multi-member seats, which nearly all elected 3 MPs with the exceptions of Madrid (8), Barcelona (5) and Sevilla (4).

While a simple majority sufficed for gaining the single-member seats, things were a bit weirder in multi-member seats. According to Article 84 of the 1878 Law, in 3-member seats, voters could cast votes for two candidates of the three, but always in the same ballot; in the seats electing 4 or 5 seats, voters could cast votes for up to 3 candidates, again from the same ballot. And 4 in the case of 6 MPs, 5 for 7 MPs or 6 for 8 MPs.

Voters had to write in the name of their preferred candidate. Given the high illiteracy at the time, well...

The 1890 law did away with censitary suffrage and indirect elections, but did not change one iota of the electoral map.

And so, as a result, for 20 years, this was the electoral map of my birth province of Valladolid:
Valladolid: merger of the previous constituencies of Valladolid, Peñafiel and Medina de Rioseco. 3 MPs
La Nava del Rey: 1 MP
Medina del Campo: 1 MP
Medina del Campo: 1 MP

Valladolid_constituencies_1871-1898.png

I've been looking forward to this.

Me too. In fact, if I manage to do it, I'm pretty sure I'll be the first person to ever map this. Now, I can't vouch for its total accuracy, as over time a few towns here and there may have changed districts owing to individual decrees, but overall it's correct. Also, the electoral law of 1871 is full of typos. Like someone was reading out loud the town names as they were added and later no one ever double-checked.

But I'm gonna start with Castilla y León, for the simple reason that its municipal map hasn't changed in 150 years. The only towns mentioned in the electoral law not currently existing, with 3 exceptions, are those which literally ran out of people, becoming inhabited and thus merged with neighbouring municipalities.

One thing that was bugging me was, after 1890, Valladolid gained a seat when there was no single law indicating redrawn constituencies or indeed the 1890 redistricting bill, which failed to pass, expanded it. So I finally understood the reason.

The 1890 Electoral Law, the one the introduced universal male suffrage, also, at last, regulated the election to the special seats. According to both the 1878 and 1890 election laws, voters could also elect special seats (like university seats, Sociedades Económicas de Amigos del País, agrarian, commerce and industrial chambers, etc.) provided they numbered over 5,000 members. However, no double-voting was allowed and so, voters had to choose between voting for these special seats or for their regular MPs.

Unfortunately, the website of the Congress of Deputies is total crap (like not just in terms of looks, it's just deplorably outdated) and it doesn't provide party affiliation data for the time period, so I'm relying on Wikipedia and books on provincial and local history to find it.

Also, Leovigildo Fernández de Velasco y Ponce de León is just about the most Spanish nobility surname in history.

Colour code: Blue: Conservative. Yellow: Liberal. Green: 'Gamacista' Liberal. Purple: Republican.

The 'Gamacista' liberals represented the far-right of the Liberal Party, as they were very protectionists and not terribly keen on various other Liberal priorities. Indeed, Germán Gamazo y Crespo, the cacique of Valladolid, was already shifting away from the party by 1892-1893. His son-in-law, Antonio Maura, would lead the faction into the Conservatives in 1902 and later become Conservative Prime Minister.

There's this 1977 interview done by RTVE from people from this random village in Valladolid where they interview a really old map, maybe in his 80s or 90s, and asked him if he had ever voted in his life and it goes:

"Yes, ma'am, I've voted, I have voted many times!"
"Oh? And who did you use to vote for?"
"I voted gamacista! I like law and order. It's very important. Always! Yes, m'am"

Captura de pantalla 2020-11-23 a las 13.16.24.png

I'm way too excited about this but this is the first WIP.

That pinkish seat in the north of Palencia is a Carlist seat held by Matías Barrio y Mier, who was the MP for Cervera de Pisuerga from, 1873-74, 1891 until 1901 and again from 1905 until his death in 1909.

Unamuno used to say that nationalism could be cured by travelling and Carlism by reading, but that did not apply to Barrio y Mier. He taught Geography and History in the University of Zaragoza and had PhDs in Civil and Canonical Law, Philosophy and Letters, was a certified archivist and librarian, also graduated in Theology, and could speak, besides Spanish, English, Italian, French and Sanskrit - which he learnt in Paris.

Barrio y Mier served as the leader of Carlists inside and outside Parliament from 1899 until his death.

On the colouring, I do have a question. So I have the vote shares of the winners in the constituencies, but other than the multi-member ones, no clue about the votes received by the second-most-voted candidate - so I'm unsure how to colour the seats. I was going by subtracting the majority share from 100, but that's not a great method. Any suggestions?

EDIT:

In the 1893 election, the one I'm mapping (why? I wanna map Cuba and Puerto Rico), these were the MPs mapped or pre-mapped:

- VALLADOLID
Constituency of Valladolid (3): Eustaquio de la Torre Minguez (Con. 48.5%), Leovigildo Fernández de Velasco y Ponce de León (Con. 44.1%), José Muro-López Salgado (U.R. 47%)
District of Villalón de Campos: Trifino Gamazo y Calvo (Lib. Gamacista 91.8%)
District of Medina del Campo: Germán Gamazo y Calvo (Lib. Gamacista 99.9%)
District of Nava del Rey: Isidoro García Barrado (Lib. Gamacista 70.7%)
Special seat, Agrarian Chamber of Medina del Campo: Eusebio Giraldo Crespo (Lib. Gamacista 100%)
- PALENCIA
District of Palencia: Narciso Rodríguez Lagunilla (Liberal 99.6%)
District of Astudillo: Fernando Monedero Díaz Quijada (Lib. Gamacista 54.8%)
District of Carrión de los Condes: Demetrio Betegón García (Lib. Gamacista 53.6%)
District of Saldaña: Quintín Arévalo y Bayón (Con. 54.7%)
District of Pisuerga: Matías Barrio y Mier (Carlist 57.7%)
- AVILA
District of Arévalo: Pascual Amat y Esteve (Con. 53.8%)
District of Ávila: Nicolás Sánchez Albornoz y Hurtado (Lib. Gamacista 99.4%)
District of Arenas de San Pedro: Francisco Agustín Silvela y Casado (Con. 79.5%)
District of Piedrahita: Ramón Castillo-García y Soriano (Liberal 54.3%)

U8MBitO.png

Last edited:
Seems like that's probably the best system if there's no information on the non-winning candidates' vote totals. You'll still have some differentiation, and it'll at least convey some information to the viewer: which seats are true strongholds, which are unopposed, and so on. Maybe expand the color gradient to allow for more nuance if you have a lot of results in that 70-100% range?

On the colouring, I do have a question. So I have the vote shares of the winners in the constituencies, but other than the multi-member ones, no clue about the votes received by the second-most-voted candidate - so I'm unsure how to colour the seats. I was going by subtracting the majority share from 100, but that's not a great method. Any suggestions?
You could always just do it by the leading candidates' vote shares rather than by majority, that almost seems like a more common way to do things than the one we use.

Seems like that's probably the best system if there's no information on the non-winning candidates' vote totals. You'll still have some differentiation, and it'll at least convey some information to the viewer: which seats are true strongholds, which are unopposed, and so on. Maybe expand the color gradient to allow for more nuance if you have a lot of results in that 70-100% range?

Most are, We're not speaking of genuinely genuine elections. Such was the magic of the Restauración, constant turnover of parties in government through a pact of "we each take turns to craft fraudulent elections" within the limits set by noblesse oblige (like don't take out important opposition personalities, never go much bigger than an absolute majority, etc.).

You could always just do it by the leading candidates' vote shares rather than by majority, that almost seems like a more common way to do things than the one we use.

Yeah, I think I'll re-arrange the colours from 30% to 99% and then for the unopposed (pre-1907) or acclaimed (post-1907) MPs.

I just bought a seemingly great book on local level caciquismo, with some sort of maps of the constituencies and looks like either they or I fucked up some towns in Valladolid, although since theirs is a more conceptual map I'm not sure. I'll have to double-check though.

Ávila was, despite the appearances, a fiefdom of the Silvela family. 1893 was an odd election in that the government-aligned candidate (Liberal) beat Francisco Silvela for his seat in Piedrahita, but it really way.

Francisco Agustín Silvela was MP for Arenas de San Pedro from 1886 until 1901 and again 1903-1907.
Meanwhie Fransciso Silvela was MP for Piedrahita from 1881 until 1893 and again from 1896 until his passing. Following that, his son, Jorge Silvela won the seat in a by-election and kept it until 1923.

Soria was at this point a perfect province for turnismo. In 1881 (Lib. govt), it returned 4/4 Liberal MPs, in 1884 (Con. govt.) it was 2 Liberals to 2 Conservatives, in 1886 (Lib. Govt.), 3 liberals and a republican, in 1891 (Con. govt.), 3 conservatives and 1 liberal, in 1893 (Lib. govt.), 4 liberal MPs; in 1896 (Lib. Govt.) 3 Conservatives and 1 Liberal; in 1898 (Lib. Govt.), 3 Liberals and 1 Conservative and in 1899 (Con. govt.), 3 Conservatives and one liberal.

The person who breaks the norm is Lamberto Martínez Asenjo, MP for Almazón from 1891 until 1919, first as a Liberal, then a gamacista Liberal and ultimately as a Conservative. Although when he was first elected in 1879, I believe he was a so-called "possibilist" Republican (i.e. they only cared about re-imposing universal suffrage).

In any case, I keep making progress:

ZtknNse.png

The data is ready to start with Burgos 5 FPTP districts and one 3-member constituency.

Francisco Agustín Silvela was MP for Arenas de San Pedro from 1886 until 1901 and again 1903-1907.
Meanwhile Fransciso Silvela was MP for Piedrahita from 1881 until 1893 and again from 1896 until his passing. Following that, his son, Jorge Silvela won the seat in a by-election and kept it until 1923.
Heh, then it’s very likely that my great great grandfather knew him personally.

Oh? I don't know why but I thought your family was Navarrese.

Honestly, Silvela was some of the best Spanish conservatism has produced.
He was the town notario until he hanged himself one day, it’s still a bit frowned upon to talk about it in the family 120 years later.

Yeah, a quarter of it. A huge chunk is Old Castilian, with one set of great grandparents from both my mother’s and my father’s side coming from Piedrahita.

Very weird, my parents met while vacationing in Villajoyosa in the 80s, one coming from Madrid, the other from San Sebastián, and only 20 years later I when mapping the family tree I found out that they both had great grandparents living in Piedrahita during the tail end of the 19th century (which had about 1,000 inhabitants at the time).

Last edited:
He was the town notario until he hanged himself one day, it’s still a bit frowned upon to talk about it in the family 120 years later.

My father's mother's family (largely from Valladolid itself or Simancas) has some similar-ish stories from around that time. No deaths but one of my great-great-grandparents was a big-time mus gambler and he owned 3 barbershops in Valladolid and lost the best-placed one in a game. And after that, his wife, would go pick him up immediately when she heard he was gambling to stop from messing up so bad again.

Then there was the father of my great-great-grandmother Juana, who went to buy tobacco and never returned.

Yeah, a quarter of it. A huge chunk is Old Castilian, with one set of great grandparents from both my mother’s and my father’s side coming from Piedrahita.

Ah okay. I'll check who represented them back then but Navarra being Navarra, it's likely it was either a Carlist or an Integrist MP.

Very weird, my parents met while vacationing in Villajoyosa in the 80s, one coming from Madrid, the other from San Sebastián, and only 20 years later I when mapping the family tree I found out that they both had great grandparents living in Piedrahita during the tail end of the 19th century (which had about 1,000 inhabitants at the time).

Small world, eh?

Another WIP:

As it turns out, the 1893 election marks the last time León (mapped) and Zamora (unmapped) each elected 9 and 6 MPs respectively. From 1896 onward, the provinces would have 10 and 7 districts each. Why? It wasn't as a result of large population disparities, instead, in Zamora, the district of Bermillo de Sayago was drawn for Federico Requejo Avedillo, a Liberal grandee from the province from what was his home turf. Riaño was created ahead of the 1896 election essentially for the same reason, to accommodate provincial Conservative leader Antonio Molleda Melcón.

The purple in León is Republican MP Gumersindo de Azcárate (1886-1896, 1898-1916) who was widely respected for his parliamentary work and popular in his district (also as cacique in terms of behaviour as any dynastic politician) so the Liberals and Conservatives rarely ever put forward candidates in the seat. As a result, he won 98.5% of the vote in 1893, 92.9% (1898), 100% (1899), 95% (1901), 98% (1903), 99.4% (1905), 63.4% (1907), proclaimed under Article 29 of the 1907 Law (1910, 1914).

His nephew, Pablo de Azcárate was also an MP for León in 1918-1919 seating as a Reformist, a party founded by Melquiades Álvarez, Manuel Azaña, José Ortega y Gasset, Benito Pérez-Galdós and Gumersindo de Azcárate grouping the far-left of the Liberal Party with republicans who could live with a monarchy (as long as he stopped meddling in politics, ehem Alfonso XIII ehem).

Right now, it's 33 Liberal MPs, 11 Conservative MPs, 2 Republicans and 1 Carlist.

Z6Kfphj.png

Last edited:
As we move away from Castilla y León and set our sights towards the Basque Country (then Provincias Vascongadas), we can take a look at the province of Álava, which gained a seat in 1888 for no real reason, electing 3 MPs.

Take a look at the district of Amurrio, that following the narrow win by Lucas Urquijo y Urrutia (younger brother of Juan Manuel Urquijo y Urrutia, second Marquis of Urquijo) in 1881 would become a family and friends seat of sorts.

1879-1880: Juan Manuel Urquijo y Urrutia
1880-1881: Lucas Urquijo y Urrutia (young brother of the J.M.)
1881-1893: Marcos Ussia y Aldama (older brother of Luis, brother-in-law of Juan Manuel Urquijo, business partner of Juan Manuel Urquijo)
1893-1898: Luis Ussía y Aldama Esbuí y Acha, Marquis of Aldama (brother-in-law of Juan Manuel Urquijo, managing partner of the Urquijo Compañía)
1898-1910: Estanislao de Urquijo y Ussía (first-born son of Juan Manuel Urquijo y Urrutia)
1910-1914: Juan Manuel de Urquijo y Ussía (second-born son of Juan Manuel Urquijo y Urrutia)
1914-1920: Luis de Urquijo y Ussía (third-born son of Juan Manuel Urquijo y Urrutia)
1920-1923: Valentín Ruíz Senen (business partner of the Juan Manuel Urquijo y Urrutia since the 1880s)

Only once was the feud threatened, in 1916, when Luis de Urquijo won by some 200 votes over an independent (read: Carlist) candidate.

Why green? Because they ran as 'independents' but are more accurately described as 'Basque dynastic' (dinásticos vascos), as they sat with Conservative or Liberals depending on the government. Their point, ideologically, was that they supported the dynasty and the parliamentary system regardless of the differences between Conservatives and Liberals, because they faced Carlists in Álava. Also, they were there to be able to participate in decision-making (although there was plenty of pork-barreling for the district, according to literature) as the Marquises of Urquijo represented one of the most important financier and industrial families in Spain back then.

Captura de pantalla 2020-12-07 a las 20.31.39.png

Why green? Because they ran as 'independents' but are more accurately described as 'Basque dynastic' (dinásticos vascos), as they sat with Conservative or Liberals depending on the government.
How common was this outside the Basque provinces? It feels very in keeping with turnismo, and IIRC it's still kind of how it works in the Philippines.

How common was this outside the Basque provinces? It feels very in keeping with turnismo, and IIRC it's still kind of how it works in the Philippines.

Mostly only there.

Turnismo usually worked more by sending non-local MPs to “open seats” (those not held by powerful local leaders) known as “cuneros” or selecting from provincial politics someone to fill the seat in a party’s turn. But party allegiance was clear. Usually, with few exceptions (Maura and Gamazo come to mind) relevant MPs with “safe seats” just didn’t change parties.

Back