• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Myth-ter Bond: Myth and Reality in the Spy Game

Discuss @David Flin 's latest article here.

Forgotten the link there, Andy. It's another excellent article anyway. I've been taken by that lebanon story and the picture it paints since David first used it in his troubles story.

I planned a novel series where the surviving Soviet Union (to offset the American world police mentality) alongside an upsurge in terrorist activities leads the UN to form a global anti-terrorism task force called UN-WATCH (World Anti-Terrorism and Communications Headquarters).

Forgotten the link there, Andy. It's another excellent article anyway. I've been taken by that lebanon story and the picture it paints since David first used it in his troubles story.

It's precisely the sort of thing that would usually be missed, but is also absolutely crying out for a film adaptation because its got all the right elements (danger, possibility of romance, moral conflict etc.)

I guess there's a moral conflict in choosing who gets out and who doesn't, because this was a case where demand exceeded (by a considerable margin) the capacity to meet that demand.

There's that element, the potential for some sort of 'are we really doing right by them' musings brought on by getting more emotionally involved with a particular case. That moral element would probably work best in terms of somebody outside the immediate situation objecting and our 'hero' defending it while also feeling some degree of 'should we be doing more' guilt.

Very nice article @David Flin I only wish it was longer. I imagine you have a lot to say on the subject.

Between the Beruit thing and the Israeli seaside resort I think from now on I'm going to assume that every single member of staff at a holiday destination is working for someone from now on.

Though in terms of Bond and super spies and the like. Wasn't that influenced by the SOE and OSS and early CIA who really bought into blowing shit up, killing people and working with resistance groups and sexy stuff like that (and consequently kept fucking up completely when against the Soviets and regimes who weren't as widely hated and spread thinly as the Nazis) in the time period Fleming was writing in?

Hey, @David Flin , you wouldn't be able to offer more resources on the whole Beirut people-smuggling operation? It sounds very intriguing. :)

It's precisely the sort of thing that would usually be missed, but is also absolutely crying out for a film adaptation because its got all the right elements (danger, possibility of romance, moral conflict etc.)

Personally, I would put it as the opening premise of a spy murder-mystery story.

Let's say that eight years ago or something like that, these people were evacuated, and they've been writing their letters on time since forever, and the MI6 thinks that this is all boring and useless. And then, during the scope of two months, a number of them die under unusual circumstances. The way that they die, and the short timespan during which they die, convinces the agency that these obviously have to be connected, and there's got to be something greater than just a single person doing all the killings. Thing is though, as far as MI6 is able to tell, there is no good reason for killing them whatsoever. They haven't proven to be particularly useful assets in the first place, and as far as the agency can tell, other than them being evacuated at approximately the same time, there's really nothing connecting them.

And so, the story begins.

Though in terms of Bond and super spies and the like. Wasn't that influenced by the SOE and OSS and early CIA who really bought into blowing shit up, killing people and working with resistance groups and sexy stuff like that (and consequently kept fucking up completely when against the Soviets and regimes who weren't as widely hated and spread thinly as the Nazis) in the time period Fleming was writing in?

To be honest, Bond and other super-spies make far more sense to me when thought of as a one man special forces team than as anything resembling an actual spy.

Back