• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

My Main Timeline: What if the Franco-Prussian war escalated?

Which direction should this TL go?

• Choice A: Britain intervenes on Franco-Austrian side and Prussia-Russia loses

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Choice B: Britain stands neutral. Prussia and Russia win but Austria limps on

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Choice C: Britain stands neutral, but it's a tough war. Prussia and Russia split Austria,

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well it could happen i think as early as 1905 when there was the first Russian Revolution.

There's some Marxist argument that communist revolutions can't happen unless the country has a high enough level of industrialisation, but bourgeius revolution can. I think 1905 was a bourgouis not a communist revolution.

That said, Marx was wrong, because he thought the revolution would come in Germany and Britian, but it struck Russia first.

@lordroel I have a few scenarios this timeline could go, would appreciate your advice.

a. Russia intervenes on the side of the Prussians, then Britain and the Ottomans on the side of the French-Austrians. Prussia loses. Austria regains limited hegemony in Germany and tensions rise with France
b. Russia intervenes on the side of the Prussians, but Britain does nothing. War is relatively quick. France goes roughly as normal, expect Paris commune revolt is wider and Napoleon III is not captured (no Sedan) but deposed. AH divided into spheres of influence but kept alive as a bulwark
c. Russia intervenes on the side of the Prussians, but war is close and takes a really long time. Austria Hugnary collapses entirely, GroBdeutschland formed and Hungary becomes independent vassal.

Initially intended a. but I'd be open to changing my mind

@lordroel I have a few scenarios this timeline could go, would appreciate your advice.

a. Russia intervenes on the side of the Prussians, then Britain and the Ottomans on the side of the French-Austrians. Prussia loses. Austria regains limited hegemony in Germany and tensions rise with France
b. Russia intervenes on the side of the Prussians, but Britain does nothing. War is relatively quick. France goes roughly as normal, expect Paris commune revolt is wider and Napoleon III is not captured (no Sedan) but deposed. AH divided into spheres of influence but kept alive as a bulwark
c. Russia intervenes on the side of the Prussians, but war is close and takes a really long time. Austria Hugnary collapses entirely, GroBdeutschland formed and Hungary becomes independent vassal.

I think B or C are good options. Italy could join a Prusso-Russian Alliance as well to regain Savoy, Nice and Dalmatia as well, but what the Ottomans do is also important. If the Ottomans sit the war out, nothing happens. If they join on the Prusso-Russian side, Britain will sit the war out, but the Franco-Austrians are doomed. If the Ottomans join on the Franco-Austrian side, Britain could join in on their side to make sure that the Russians don't get Constantinople, and then we have a very interesting war. But I like the second scenario best.

If you go with A: If Prussia lost even with Russia help, it will send a shock wave across Europe as two of the most powerful countries on mainland Europe lost against France and Austria.

If you go with A: If Prussia lost even with Russia help, it will send a shock wave across Europe as two of the most powerful countries on mainland Europe lost against France and Austria.

I was thinking more:

Britain
France
Austria
Turkey

All together

Which isn't quite so bad odds

You could have a blockade from Britain, slowing waring down Prussia (even more so, given they hadn't fully industrialised)

I was thinking more:

Britain
France
Austria
Turkey

All together

You could have a blockade from Britain, slowing waring down Prussia (even more so, given they hadn't fully industrialised)
Verus Prussia and its North German Confederation controlled German allies and Russia against a early version of the Allies.

I was thinking more:

Britain
France
Austria
Turkey

All together

In this case the “Entente” would win very easily. As soon as Prussia is knocked out of the war the Russians would likely sue for peace.

Back