• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Moroccan colony in the Caribbean

Ricardolindo

Moroccan Sultan Ahmad al-Mansur was interested in acquiring a sugar island in the Caribbean in cooperation with England. What if Morocco did get a sugar island in the Caribbean? Which island are they most likely to get? Could they have held it in the long term?

Moroccan Sultan Ahmad al-Mansur was interested in acquiring a sugar island in the Caribbean in cooperation with England. What if Morocco did get a sugar island in the Caribbean? Which island are they most likely to get? Could they have held it in the long term?

No he wasn't.

He was interested in telling the English he wanted a sugar island in the Caribbean. That's not remotely the same thing.

I wrote an article about this based on the analysis on al-mansur's diplomatic letters to european monarchs made by Stephen Cory in his 2013 book but in short, Al-Mansur promised a lot of different european monarchs a lot of different things, it's really best not to take him at face value.

There is very little evidence that he had actual ambitions in this direction, for a start he didn't have a navy. For a second, Morocco was already the owner of a huge amount of sugar plantations filled with black slaves in the sus valley.

No he wasn't.

He was interested in telling the English he wanted a sugar island in the Caribbean. That's not remotely the same thing.

I wrote an article about this based on the analysis on al-mansur's diplomatic letters to european monarchs made by Stephen Cory in his 2013 book but in short, Al-Mansur promised a lot of different european monarchs a lot of different things, it's really best not to take him at face value.

There is very little evidence that he had actual ambitions in this direction, for a start he didn't have a navy. For a second, Morocco was already the owner of a huge amount of sugar plantations filled with black slaves in the sus valley.

Thank you for the clarification.

Just out of curiosity, is there any viable POD that could give Morocco a substantial navy, and if so, what butterflies would it have on the outside world?

The problem is that Morocco never had a seafaring tradition.

Thank you for the clarification.

Essentially, the main english-moroccan trade at this time was sugar for guns. The Moroccans grew sugar and the english sold them guns in return. The plan you're talking about was a joint anglo-morrocan invasion of spain which would see southern spain reconquered by the muslims and the english gain a sugar island so they'd have a second source of sugar. Since this wasn't in Moroccan economic interests, the deal would involve the moroccans taking some control of it, so they'd also get a share.

But I like I said it was a proposal the English were meant to turn down, Al-Mansur's country was suffering from famine, plague and rebellion, he needed to make a big gesture like this to continue the bluff that they were doing fine actually. It wasn't something he actually could pull off. He just wanted to tell the mosques 'look, we're planning something cool, isn't it a shame those cowardly Englishmen wouldn't follow through'.

Just out of curiosity, is there any viable POD that could give Morocco a substantial navy, and if so, what butterflies would it have on the outside world?

There was a long term decline in Moroccan naval power from the 14th century onwards, where you stop seeing Moroccan armies land in Iberia and the Balearics and start seeing them much on the defensive.

There were unofficial navies, of pirates and traders but mostly out of the power of the government, you see this with the Wattasids marrying local coastal rulers to get control of their navies.

By the time the Saadi dynasty emerges, you have the additional complication of the Portuguese having conquered most of the great Moroccan ports. The Saadi's emerged as a power among the interior tribes resisting domination from those portugese ports. So it's difficult to switch to a navy focus when you don't have control of your coastline.

Rabat and Sale were used as ports during this time by morisco immigrants to morocco expelled from spain but they were built on the bou regreg river, which is very shallow and limits the size of your ships. The sale corsairs, the morisco pirates were limited to very small ships, mostly without guns, as a result. They were a nuisance but they could never be a navy, certainly not to cross the atlantic.

Essentially, the main english-moroccan trade at this time was sugar for guns. The Moroccans grew sugar and the english sold them guns in return. The plan you're talking about was a joint anglo-morrocan invasion of spain which would see southern spain reconquered by the muslims and the english gain a sugar island so they'd have a second source of sugar. Since this wasn't in Moroccan economic interests, the deal would involve the moroccans taking some control of it, so they'd also get a share.

But I like I said it was a proposal the English were meant to turn down, Al-Mansur's country was suffering from famine, plague and rebellion, he needed to make a big gesture like this to continue the bluff that they were doing fine actually. It wasn't something he actually could pull off. He just wanted to tell the mosques 'look, we're planning something cool, isn't it a shame those cowardly Englishmen wouldn't follow through'.

There was a long term decline in Moroccan naval power from the 14th century onwards, where you stop seeing Moroccan armies land in Iberia and the Balearics and start seeing them much on the defensive.

There were unofficial navies, of pirates and traders but mostly out of the power of the government, you see this with the Wattasids marrying local coastal rulers to get control of their navies.

By the time the Saadi dynasty emerges, you have the additional complication of the Portuguese having conquered most of the great Moroccan ports. The Saadi's emerged as a power among the interior tribes resisting domination from those portugese ports. So it's difficult to switch to a navy focus when you don't have control of your coastline.

Rabat and Sale were used as ports during this time by morisco immigrants to morocco expelled from spain but they were built on the bou regreg river, which is very shallow and limits the size of your ships. The sale corsairs, the morisco pirates were limited to very small ships, mostly without guns, as a result. They were a nuisance but they could never be a navy, certainly not to cross the atlantic.

If, say, the Marinids seized the Canary Islands before Castile did, as suggested by @iainbhx at http://forum.sealionpress.co.uk/index.php?threads/muslim-guanche.3222/, they would have a good base for New World expeditions.

If, say, the Marinids seized the Canary Islands before Castile did, as suggested by @iainbhx at http://forum.sealionpress.co.uk/index.php?threads/muslim-guanche.3222/, they would have a good base for New World expeditions.

Yeah, the Marinids, or the Almohads or the Almoravids are your better bets. Again not a particularly celebrated seafaring tradition from any of them (see sigurd the crusader beating up the Almoravids) but they all held land in iberia, controlled more ports and were much more comfortable with sea voyages.

A stronger Morocco which halts the Reconquista might well start looking west, but this requires a pod hundreds of years before al-mansur's reign so would have some butterflies.

In terms of sugar islands, the interesting question I suppose is does Morocco pivot entirely to the triangle trade and sending ships to pick up slaves in senegal, send them to the Caribbean and then transport sugar back, in which case there's no need for the dispossession of family farms in the sus to build sugar plantations there and no need for the invasions across the sahara to capture slaves by land. In which case no premature collapse of the mali and songhai in the sahel with all the changes that means. And probably no 17th century race wars in Morocco with the slaves being kept abroad rather in country. Or is merely an additional source of sugar, with the sus valley plantations remaining also. In which case that's a monopoly, which also has consequences.

But the changes you need to get here are so big, no spain and portugal, that it'll be an unrecognisable world.

I feel like al-Mansur being the only non-European leader during the Age of Discovery to express any interest in going in the New World (were there any other people outside of Europe who have ever expressed interest prior to the 19th century?) indicates that he had ambition, even if it was mainly in service of a madcap diplomatic technique and domestic propaganda. His Songhai campaign shows he really tried to turn Morocco into a little empire that stretches beyond the Maghreb. What if he had succeeded, and had able successors? Would Morocco become a trans-Saharan empire over time, with the resources to be a minor player in European politics similar to the Ottomans?

Sure, when al-Mansur was writing letters to Elizabeth and other European leaders he was puffing himself up, but if Morocco had gotten far enough in its West African ambitions, and secured a firm alliance with England, what if a resurgent Morocco had the extra resources to look to the New World? I don't mean full-fledged state-sponsored colonization or anything expensive like that. I mean maybe a gradual program that's something like this:

1. Embedding Moroccan mariners/navigators in English voyages

2. Developing a navy; not for New World exploration but for wars in Iberia/North Africa/West Africa, which if successful could drive interest westwards.

2.5. Could an Anglo-Moroccan force seize Madeira or the Azores? Could the Anglo-Moroccans and Portugeuse have seized the Canary Islands?

3. Eventually, a joint English-Moroccan expedition, in the name of countering Spain/ the Iberians

4. Moroccans being involved in New World exploration and colonization, not in an official state capacity but as traders, pirates, adventurers, etc.

5. Something temporary but noteworthy like Moroccan Saint Pierre and Miquelon, or the Moroccan equivalent to New Sweden or New Netherland- a very modest little colony that ends up conquered eventually but solidifies this nation's presence in the New World.

Would be interesting how this affects race relations down the line, assuming Englishmen still end up ruling North America and using chattel slavery. North and West Africans being involved in North America wouldn't butterfly it away- makes me wonder if it might even accelerate the slave trade. But I wonder if race relations might evolve differently throughout the centuries. If the English have semi-regular contact with a Morocco empire that stretches from North Africa down to the Sahel, would they be less likely to see Africans as the Other, and more likely to see them as fully human?

I've always wondered why Morocco wasn't involved in the later Barbary Wars. Guess Morocco is neither located on the Barbary Coast, nor had the naval capacity get into the corsair business.

And from your article:

It was worth considering the English Armada of 1589 which was meant to free Portugal from Spain but failed miserably. Ahmed had agreed to invade Spain at the same time as England to draw off their armies. But he then took the plans to Spain and got them to agree to return to him the port of Asilah, one of many Moroccan port cities still controlled by the Iberian Union, in return for Morocco staying neutral. A little before that Spain believed they had negotiated an agreement to swap one city for another only to find Ahmed betrayed them and was not interested in giving up any cities. Ahmed’s bold words were often empty, he knew the limitations of his state and wasn’t ready to lead them into a bloody war he might not win. His greatest achievement was that his enemies took his boasts seriously even when he had an empty hand to bluff with.

What if, for starters, he did attack Spain and not betrayed Elizabeth.

A much easier war to get would actually be Morocco allied with Spain against the Ottomans. The Turks claimed to be rightful overlords of Morocco and at least once in Al-Mansur’s reign built up an invasion force ready to enforce that which Spain would have disputed before Ahmed managed to talk them down.

This would be interesting- makes me wonder what would happen if the English get a long-running alliance with Morocco to counter Spain, not unlike the historical Anglo-Portuguese relationship.

And if you desperately want Ahmed to notch up his fourth empire, there is an obvious target. The Borno Empire of modern day Chad and Nigeria. In 1582 the Sultan of Borno sent an embassy to Morocco in which he asked for Moroccan aid in his jihads against pagan neighbours and in return he would recognise Ahmed as his caliph and feudal master. In the next few decades other West African Muslims would be offered the same deal by Morocco, it would be the Songhai’s refusal of this that led to their doom. Ahmed was not looking North as much as he was looking South. He wanted to unite Muslim Africa, indeed he wrote a huge amount of letters to Egyptians and Algerians criticising Ottoman rule in the hope that they’d throw out the Turks and invite him in in their place, and the allegiance of Bornu was a huge feather in his cap. If a Sultan of Bornu attempted to break that, Ahmed would have the motive and opportunity to annex them directly, which would have huge effects on the history of West Africa.

What if his campaigns against the Songhai succeeded, he gets some capable successors, and there's a trans-Saharan North-to-West African Muslim super-state united by Morocco? They might have no interest in going to the New World at all, but maybe they'd be positioned to if they wanted to.

Non-al-Mansur ideas:

• What if at some point England allows basing for Moroccan privateers if they only attack Spanish shipping? What if Muslim corsairs end up taking over a Caribbean island, and ruling it for a while, like a Republic of Salé West, or a Republic of Pirates except Muslim?
  • I read a claim that Barbary corsairs had raided the Grand Banks at some point, enslaving Basque fishermen. I have no idea if that's true or not, but if that was something they liked to do, maybe they could have established a semi-permanent base in the area... such as settling in Saint Pierre and Miquelon or even Newfoundland.

Fascinating reply @Strategos' Risk, lots of stuff to talk about.

I feel like al-Mansur being the only non-European leader during the Age of Discovery to express any interest in going in the New World (were there any other people outside of Europe who have ever expressed interest prior to the 19th century?) indicates that he had ambition, even if it was mainly in service of a madcap diplomatic technique and domestic propaganda.

That's an exaggeration. The Japanese sent ships to Mexico, the Ottomans questioned sailors from Columbus's voyages and the Kingdom of Kongo sent several of their ambassadors to Brazil in the 1600s.

But yes, the fact he asked for a sugar island is telling, I agree. I think it's more telling about the sort of person he wanted to appear as but I can hear arguments for it being indicative of his actual ambitions.

His Songhai campaign shows he really tried to turn Morocco into a little empire that stretches beyond the Maghreb. What if he had succeeded, and had able successors? Would Morocco become a trans-Saharan empire over time, with the resources to be a minor player in European politics similar to the Ottomans?

Certainly this was his ambition. He wanted to be Caliph of Africa. In, OTL, it all went wrong, he over stretched himself and spent a lot of blood and gold trying to hold it together before it collapsed at his death. But yeah I don't think it's impossible for that not to happen and for Morocco to maintain their control over West Africa.

Though I think some of the difficulties are hard to remove, the traders going to the coast rather than Timbuktu seems inevitable, I can buy a mroe successful Malian annexation.

Sure, when al-Mansur was writing letters to Elizabeth and other European leaders he was puffing himself up, but if Morocco had gotten far enough in its West African ambitions, and secured a firm alliance with England, what if a resurgent Morocco had the extra resources to look to the New World? I don't mean full-fledged state-sponsored colonization or anything expensive like that. I mean maybe a gradual program that's something like this:

1. Embedding Moroccan mariners/navigators in English voyages

2. Developing a navy; not for New World exploration but for wars in Iberia/North Africa/West Africa, which if successful could drive interest westwards.

2.5. Could an Anglo-Moroccan force seize Madeira or the Azores? Could the Anglo-Moroccans and Portugeuse have seized the Canary Islands?

3. Eventually, a joint English-Moroccan expedition, in the name of countering Spain/ the Iberians

4. Moroccans being involved in New World exploration and colonization, not in an official state capacity but as traders, pirates, adventurers, etc.

5. Something temporary but noteworthy like Moroccan Saint Pierre and Miquelon, or the Moroccan equivalent to New Sweden or New Netherland- a very modest little colony that ends up conquered eventually but solidifies this nation's presence in the New World.

I'd read it, certainly. My gut instinct is that it's easier to get something like that with an earlier Pod when Morocco is stronger and the Christian Iberians are weaker but yeah, it's not a ridiculous series of events.

I think Spain could probably handily defeat England and Morocco at the time but they had a lot of other things they were trying to do in the early 17th century so losing something because of them being distracted is plausible enough.

Would be interesting how this affects race relations down the line, assuming Englishmen still end up ruling North America and using chattel slavery. North and West Africans being involved in North America wouldn't butterfly it away- makes me wonder if it might even accelerate the slave trade. But I wonder if race relations might evolve differently throughout the centuries. If the English have semi-regular contact with a Morocco empire that stretches from North Africa down to the Sahel, would they be less likely to see Africans as the Other, and more likely to see them as fully human?

Worth noting that Black Africans in the Moroccan empire were treat as bad if not worse as they were in the European empires. Slave plantations ect. Late 17th century Morocco saw essentially a race war in which all the black residents of it, which had been there since pre roman times, were enslaved.

More likely it's that the Arabs/Berbers remain white than Africans are seen as better off.

I've always wondered why Morocco wasn't involved in the later Barbary Wars. Guess Morocco is neither located on the Barbary Coast, nor had the naval capacity get into the corsair business.

I think by the time of the barbary Wars they had more of a navy, but it's a little later than my area of expertise. Certainly they were happies to receive protection money from the Us then get in a fight with them.

What if, for starters, he did attack Spain and not betrayed Elizabeth [During the English Armada].

Another interesting one, my gut instinct is that the Armada would still lose because it was shambolic and then the Spanish would turn on Morocco. Which is presumably also what the Moroccans concluded.

I read a claim that Barbary corsairs had raided the Grand Banks at some point, enslaving Basque fishermen. I have no idea if that's true or not, but if that was something they liked to do, maybe they could have established a semi-permanent base in the area... such as settling in Saint Pierre and Miquelon or even Newfoundland.

Almost certainly true, almost certainly the corsairs weren't using African built ships. In the wake of the dutch and english peace agreements with Spain, a lot of their navies went rogue and joined the corsairs. It's those ships that did the long distance raids into the Atlantic.

I've written three stories where muslim corsairs do establish bases in the New World, I certainly don't think it's impossible. But you need them to hold onto the ships of the European renegades and capture more of that ilk, really. The majority of corsair ships were far too small for that voyage.

The Japanese sent ships to Mexico

That's post-Age of Discovery, I was thinking before the 19th century. Japan's rapid industrialization and ascension into colonial imperialism is a special case and yeah they were very interested in Latin American settlement. Also that also seemed to be the era of non-sovereign "colonies" that did involve settler communities with or without state support, but didn't actually lead to the sponsoring government taking over the land (other than Texas in a roundabout way, I guess).

I'd place Japanese colonies in Mexico and Latin America on the same level as Mormon Colonies, Italians and Welsh in Argentina, French and Germans in post-independence Texas. Fair, they did have interest in settling the place and profiting from it, but they presumably they didn't want to directly own it like a hypothetical 17th century Moroccan colony would have.

the Ottomans questioned sailors from Columbus's voyages and the Kingdom of Kongo sent several of their ambassadors to Brazil in the 1600s.

I did not know about either of this! I'd be interested in learning more about it. Particularly because I've always been interested in what if Kongo had survived and continued to be on the periphery of European relations, sort of like the Maghreb/Ethiopia of West Africa, perhaps. The Ottomans seem more unlikely I guess.

But yes, the fact he asked for a sugar island is telling, I agree. I think it's more telling about the sort of person he wanted to appear as but I can hear arguments for it being indicative of his actual ambitions.

Maybe that was just what the standard model for a New World colony was at the time. At any rate, Moroccan New World ambitions would definitely require divergences here- they need to exist and be publicized far more than just secret communiques to England, but become a romantic notion in the society. A dream that idle sailors, corsairs, and adventurers might aspire for, it would need to exist beyond al-Mansur's puffery. Even if it never becomes actually realized by the Moroccan state, it might at least lead to more North African participation in the Caribbean trade, to give these non-Europeans a distinct interest in going west.

But yeah I don't think it's impossible for that not to happen and for Morocco to maintain their control over West Africa.

Though I think some of the difficulties are hard to remove, the traders going to the coast rather than Timbuktu seems inevitable, I can buy a mroe successful Malian annexation.

Big empires are tough, so I wonder if his successors- or even another dynasty taking over Morocco- would be capable of doing so.

But even if it doesn't, as a side effect, I wonder if Moroccan rule will connect that part of West Africa to Europe earlier in history. Maybe they also start seafaring more. Maybe down the line, a newly-independent and more-developed Mali experiences a rebirth of the legend of Mansa Abubakari II's supposed discovery of the Americas, and some Muslim West Africans go to the New World as free men- traders, explorers, and missionaries.

My gut instinct is that it's easier to get something like that with an earlier Pod when Morocco is stronger and the Christian Iberians are weaker but yeah, it's not a ridiculous series of events.

I think to try to get unexpected colonizers in the New World, we need to look beyond the historical path that Portugal/Spain/France/England took. It wouldn't be big costly state-sponsored expeditions that gets these people to the New World, but working with these powers and being there in unofficial capacity. That at least gets people of that culture/nationality across the Atlantic, a reason to be interested. Unofficial communities start to spring up. And eventually, if their country back home gets their act together, then they try to get their own sugar island.

Makes me wonder why no one has tried doing a timeline with an Italian colony in the Americas along these lines; it's crazy how much exploration was done by Italian navigators flying under different flags (Vespucci/Columbus/Cabot/Verrazzano). By the same token, it makes me wonder if any other alternate colonizers, Moroccans included, might've done it.

More likely it's that the Arabs/Berbers remain white than Africans are seen as better off.

Sad but not too surprising. It does make me wonder that if with enough development and ties, North Africa becomes seen as solidly pseudo-European, leading to a pan-Mediterranean identity.

Another interesting one, my gut instinct is that the Armada would still lose because it was shambolic and then the Spanish would turn on Morocco. Which is presumably also what the Moroccans concluded.

Fair enough. I understand any attempt to fight the Iberians in their own home head on would end badly for North Africans, by this era. I think my main motive is to get Elizabeth interested enough in working with Morocco, even in a limited capacity. Something for a seed to grow around.

I've written three stories where muslim corsairs do establish bases in the New World, I certainly don't think it's impossible. But you need them to hold onto the ships of the European renegades and capture more of that ilk, really. The majority of corsair ships were far too small for that voyage.

!!! Thanks for more reading material with which I can explore these ideas with.

That's post-Age of Discovery, I was thinking before the 19th century. Japan's rapid industrialization and ascension into colonial imperialism is a special case and yeah they were very interested in Latin American settlement. Also that also seemed to be the era of non-sovereign "colonies" that did involve settler communities with or without state support, but didn't actually lead to the sponsoring government taking over the land (other than Texas in a roundabout way, I guess).

The Date Maru sailed from japan to Mexico in 1613. Prior to the Sakoku, the Japanese had a decent navy and quite a lot of Japanese Christians moved to Spanish mexico, they were the only non spanish allowed to own weapons.

I'd place Japanese colonies in Mexico and Latin America on the same level as Mormon Colonies, Italians and Welsh in Argentina, French and Germans in post-independence Texas. Fair, they did have interest in settling the place and profiting from it, but they presumably they didn't want to directly own it like a hypothetical 17th century Moroccan colony would have..

This is true, mind.

I did not know about either of this! I'd be interested in learning more about it. Particularly because I've always been interested in what if Kongo had survived and continued to be on the periphery of European relations, sort of like the Maghreb/Ethiopia of West Africa, perhaps. The Ottomans seem more unlikely I guess.

The Ottoman age of exploration was based about getting to asia from the red sea, their expeditions went to India and Indonesia but they wanted to know what the Spanish had found, the Piri Ries ottoman Map was the first Muslim World Map, and the information for that came from a spanish sailor prisonor of war who'd been in Columbus' crew.

The Kongo one, is a fascinating story.

When the Portuguese first arrived in Angola in 1483, they made contact immediately with the subjects of the Kingdom of Kongo. Over the next few years they would convert the King of Kongo to Catholicism and leave Portuguese architects, doctors and priests at his court. They would also take Kongolese nobles to Portugal to be educated and in many cases to become clergy. And, of course, they made an agreement to buy slaves.

Originally the slaves mostly weren’t going to Brazil, some were going to Europe and a lot were staying in Africa where the Portuguese were trying to create plantations and trading routes across the Gulf of Guinea. It was only in the 16th Century that the New World slave system got kick-started and so the numbers of slaves the Portuguese were buying became unusual and dangerous.

In the 1520s King Afonso of Kongo began to panic because suddenly slaves were being taken at a much larger rate and it was destabilising his country. Afonso's letters to the Kings of Portugal display a concern that the slave trade was getting out of his control, that it was not just captives of wars but free born Kongolese also being sold because ultimately the Portuguese goods were so much more valuable that laws were being broken so that they could be obtained. The treaty was that Kongo would sell slaves to Portugal but it was understood that it was slaves that were to be sold not free people as slaves. So Afonso urged the Portuguese kings to reign back their merchants, they didn’t and Afonso couldn’t control his own people either.

But he could buy back free people who had been sold. Throughout the 16th Century, agents of the Kongolese King visited São Tomé and Príncipe, a stop off point between Kongo and Brazil, and found nobles and elites who had been illegally sold and bought them back. In 1604, they went further and travelled to Brazil itself to buy back slaves who had been taken to the plantations, the result was probably the first ever New World slaves to be returned to their homes in Africa.

And in 1623, the Kongolese Ambassador to the Vatican achieved a bigger victory. He secured an agreement with the Pope and King Philip IV of Spain and Portugal that no Kongolese Christians should be enslaved at all, only pagans. Philip even sent a ship load of Christian slaves back to the Kingdom of Kongo as a result. Why did the Spanish agree this? It was mostly a way to try and rebuild bridges with a potential enemy. Earlier that year the Governor of Angola had been defeated in an unsuccessful invasion of the Kongo and the Kongolese had asked Philip and the Pope to denounce the Governor and prove themselves friends, the agreement on slaves was their reply. In 1624, a Dutch fleet arrived in Angola to launch a joint attack on Luanda with the Kongolese. The Kongolese didn’t show up, and the Dutch withdrew. Philip’s gamble had worked to preserve his colony and with that danger passed, no more Catholic slaves were returned.

And the days of the Kingdom of Kongo being treat as a part of Christendom on a comparable level to the European Kings were numbered. This was their high point in terms of influence in Europe, over the next century civil conflict and wars with Portugal reduced their power to a point where the Iberians no longer needed to care about their sensibilities. It is interesting to imagine the effects of the Spanish enforcing that rule on Christian Slaves being sent back to Africa for longer but it's hard to picture them ever doing so.

Thanks for more reading material with which I can explore these ideas with.

I wouldn't really say any of them are what you want. One was a throw away thing in a timeline about England (which you can find here), one was a story about a weaker Morocco (which you can find here) and the third was a timeline about an all out Ottoman-Spanish War after Malta falls in 1565 which I won't link to because it was never finished.

In none of it was the corsairs the focus.

The Date Maru sailed from japan to Mexico in 1613. Prior to the Sakoku, the Japanese had a decent navy and quite a lot of Japanese Christians moved to Spanish mexico, they were the only non spanish allowed to own weapons.

Okay wow I had no idea. This is good fodder for another timeline, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

But he could buy back free people who had been sold. Throughout the 16th Century, agents of the Kongolese King visited São Tomé and Príncipe, a stop off point between Kongo and Brazil, and found nobles and elites who had been illegally sold and bought them back. In 1604, they went further and travelled to Brazil itself to buy back slaves who had been taken to the plantations, the result was probably the first ever New World slaves to be returned to their homes in Africa.

This is a landmark act, both in terms of the history of emancipation/abolition, and in relations between the Americas and Africa.

I suppose it'd be too much at this point to speculate what if the Kongolese had retained a permanent embassy in Brazil.

In 1624, a Dutch fleet arrived in Angola to launch a joint attack on Luanda with the Kongolese. The Kongolese didn’t show up, and the Dutch withdrew. Philip’s gamble had worked to preserve his colony and with that danger passed, no more Catholic slaves were returned.

I wonder if that's another possible POD. Not just the joint attack on Luanda itself, but having Kongo begin playing off the European powers against each other.

And the days of the Kingdom of Kongo being treat as a part of Christendom on a comparable level to the European Kings were numbered. This was their high point in terms of influence in Europe, over the next century civil conflict and wars with Portugal reduced their power to a point where the Iberians no longer needed to care about their sensibilities. It is interesting to imagine the effects of the Spanish enforcing that rule on Christian Slaves being sent back to Africa for longer but it's hard to picture them ever doing so.

From what I understand, the downfall of the Kingdom of Kongo was less because of European imperialism and simply weakness and instability at home leading to the end of the independence of that polity. It'd be interesting to see if they could have avoided that somehow. But it does sound like the whole time they were somewhat living on the sufferance of the Europeans.

I do wonder what if they could have played off the Portuguese, Spaniards, and Dutch off of each other. That tactic is always easier said than done.

It also does seem uniquely cruel that they were cast out of Christendom and regarded as another exploitable land alongside the rest of Africa. One wonders if Papal authority could have protected them, if there was even interest from that authority.

A timeline with powerful trans-Saharan Morocco or a surviving Kingdom of Kongo would be difficult enough; but one that combines both would be most interesting indeed.

I wouldn't really say any of them are what you want. One was a throw away thing in a timeline about England (which you can find here), one was a story about a weaker Morocco (which you can find here) and the third was a timeline about an all out Ottoman-Spanish War after Malta falls in 1565 which I won't link to because it was never finished.

In none of it was the corsairs the focus.

I'll still take it as good reading material.

Back