• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Makemakean Does Various Graphical Things!

He's hardly ever sick at seeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaa!

So give three cheers and one cheer moore
For the Stormbringer of Angemer
So give three cheers and one cheer moooore!
For the Stormbringer of Angemer

Dodgy pronunciation intended of course.

I like to point out that in Scandinavia, one of the cultural differences between Denmark and Sweden is that Danes give three cheers, whereas Swedes give four, so as a man who (and it's clearly to his credit) remains a Dane, Christmas would prefer a plain three cheers, thank you very much.

I like to point out that in Scandinavia, one of the cultural differences between Denmark and Sweden is that Danes give three cheers, whereas Swedes give four, so as a man who (and it's clearly to his credit) remains a Dane, Christmas would prefer a plain three cheers, thank you very much.
I’ve heard it’s seven cheers in parts of Scania.

Ah the good old French debate about how many kisses.

Faces of Nordic Reunification

Benedetto nodded to the conductor who understood immediately. As their beloved Conseil President now entered the salon, the familiar tunes of the hero's theme from Notre Homme Pontoppidan flowed out of the instruments of the orchestra. By no artist's definition could Nicolas Andersen be described as a handsome man. A tall man, his arms seemed slightly too long, his appearance was gnarly, and the way he walked and moved evoked the impression of a puppet on strings. And yet, there was something about him that when you saw him, his visage would soothe you, immediately make you feel at ease. He radiated self-confidence and optimism in such a way as give to you complete confidence in the man, make you want to be his friend. Here was a man you could trust.

His clothes were of the finest Italian fabrics, silk and satin, the darkest valvet, a stovepipe hat in North American beaver. And yet he did not appear a dandy, for a dandy dresses in rebellion to the world, and on Nicolas Andersen, the clothes appeared perfectly appropriate, as if they had been invented in anticipation of a man like him one day wearing them. Well into his sixties, and certainly looking like it, he beamed an aura, and had a spirit, of a man not even half his age.

The crowd's eyes had all turned to the entrance, and as the hero's theme reached its crescendo, Nicolas Andersen removed his hat, smiled, and looked around. The tune came to an end, and the people in the hall broke out in cheers and applause. Humbly, smiling, the Conseil President bowed, and addressed his audience.

"Thank you, thank you! Please, ladies and gentlemen, I beg you!"

The applause died out.

"Now, I know what you’re all thinking!", Andersen said with a smirk, "His past successes must have gone to old Herr Andersen’s head! Now it’s just vainglory! Already before the first vote in the first constituency has been counted, the rascal shows up at the finest establishment in Copenhagen to celebrate his victory! Has the man no shame?"

The audience let out a laugh, and Andersen smiled once more, enjoying it fully.

"No, no, my dear Copenhageners, I have not yet grown quite that mad! No, tonight I am not here as Nicolas Andersen, leader of the Radikale Højremænd! Nor am I here as Nicolas Andersen, President of Her Majesty’s Royal Conseil! For tonight, I am here as plain Nicolas Andersen, a humble subject of the Crown, not to glory in my own achievements, but to bask in the glory of our great new commonwealth! To see it born into this world in its first free and open election!

"In the far-away land of China, they have a saying, that, loosely translated of course, says that the great realms, long united, they must surely divide, and long divided, they must surely unite! Ladies and gentlemen! Tonight, the romance of our three kingdoms comes to an end, and the epic of our great empire finally begins! That is what we celebrate tonight, and I heartily wish that you will all take as much joy in it as I intend to! Thank you!"

The crowd broke out in applause again, and Andersen beamed, smiling, waving his hat.

Here stood the man of the hour, the man of the year, the man of the century.

The man who had forged the North together once more, Nicolas Andersen.

Proper_Andersen.png

Faces of Nordic Reunification

Benedetto nodded to the conductor who understood immediately. As their beloved Conseil President now entered the salon, the familiar tunes of the hero's theme from Notre Homme Pontoppidan flowed out of the instruments of the orchestra. By no artist's definition could Nicolas Andersen be described as a handsome man. A tall man, his arms seemed slightly too long, his appearance was gnarly, and the way he walked and moved evoked the impression of a puppet on strings. And yet, there was something about him that when you saw him, his visage would soothe you, immediately make you feel at ease. He radiated self-confidence and optimism in such a way as give to you complete confidence in the man, make you want to be his friend. Here was a man you could trust.

His clothes were of the finest Italian fabrics, silk and satin, the darkest valvet, a stovepipe hat in North American beaver. And yet he did not appear a dandy, for a dandy dresses in rebellion to the world, and on Nicolas Andersen, the clothes appeared perfectly appropriate, as if they had been invented in anticipation of a man like him one day wearing them. Well into his sixties, and certainly looking like it, he beamed an aura, and had a spirit, of a man not even half his age.

The crowd's eyes had all turned to the entrance, and as the hero's theme reached its crescendo, Nicolas Andersen removed his hat, smiled, and looked around. The tune came to an end, and the people in the hall broke out in cheers and applause. Humbly, smiling, the Conseil President bowed, and addressed his audience.

"Thank you, thank you! Please, ladies and gentlemen, I beg you!"

The applause died out.

"Now, I know what you’re all thinking!", Andersen said with a smirk, "His past successes must have gone to old Herr Andersen’s head! Now it’s just vainglory! Already before the first vote in the first constituency has been counted, the rascal shows up at the finest establishment in Copenhagen to celebrate his victory! Has the man no shame?"

The audience let out a laugh, and Andersen smiled once more, enjoying it fully.

"No, no, my dear Copenhageners, I have not yet grown quite that mad! No, tonight I am not here as Nicolas Andersen, leader of the Radikale Højremænd! Nor am I here as Nicolas Andersen, President of Her Majesty’s Royal Conseil! For tonight, I am here as plain Nicolas Andersen, a humble subject of the Crown, not to glory in my own achievements, but to bask in the glory of our great new commonwealth! To see it born into this world in its first free and open election!

"In the far-away land of China, they have a saying, that, loosely translated of course, says that the great realms, long united, they must surely divide, and long divided, they must surely unite! Ladies and gentlemen! Tonight, the romance of our three kingdoms comes to an end, and the epic of our great empire finally begins! That is what we celebrate tonight, and I heartily wish that you will all take as much joy in it as I intend to! Thank you!"

The crowd broke out in applause again, and Andersen beamed, smiling, waving his hat.

Here stood the man of the hour, the man of the year, the man of the century.

The man who had forged the North together once more, Nicolas Andersen.

View attachment 10110
Top stuff.Have you by chance changed Mr Andersen’s design from last time?

Top stuff.Have you by chance changed Mr Andersen’s design from last time?

I suppose it's already been slightly changed... It takes a while for me to properly be able to break into a character, you know, to get an idea of how to draw him making all manner of facial expressions and the like. He might change a little more yet.

index.php

I suppose it's already been slightly changed... It takes a while for me to properly be able to break into a character, you know, to get an idea of how to draw him making all manner of facial expressions and the like. He might change a little more yet.

index.php
Will there be such drawings in between the updates of your upcoming election night special?

Will there be such drawings in between the updates of your upcoming election night special?

Maybe.

The reason I cannot really promise it is that the election night special is kind of meant to follow four primary stories, one set in Copenhagen, one set in Stockholm, one set in Åbo, and one set in the Norwegian fjords.

Since I am hoping to make it demonstrate that the Nordic Empire is this really diverse place, even though the four stories are very interlinked, what I kind of hope to be going for is that the story set in Copenhagen is meant to be written in a way to be evocative of the writing of Nordic authors who wrote stories for children, like H. C. Andersen and Selma Lagerlöf, and so on. It's meant to be a bit whimsical and slightly magical realism. Then the story set in Åbo is meant to be written in a way to be evocative of (Fenno-)Scandinavian Noir, like Sjöwall/Wahlöö, Stieg Larsson, etc.

I kind of feel that having them all illustrated in the same style would kind of go against that spirit.

Maybe.

The reason I cannot really promise it is that the election night special is kind of meant to follow four primary stories, one set in Copenhagen, one set in Stockholm, one set in Åbo, and one set in the Norwegian fjords.

Since I am hoping to make it demonstrate that the Nordic Empire is this really diverse place, even though the four stories are very interlinked, what I kind of hope to be going for is that the story set in Copenhagen is meant to be written in a way to be evocative of the writing of Nordic authors who wrote stories for children, like H. C. Andersen and Selma Lagerlöf, and so on. It's meant to be a bit whimsical and slightly magical realism. Then the story set in Åbo is meant to be written in a way to be evocative of (Fenno-)Scandinavian Noir, like Sjöwall/Wahlöö, Stieg Larsson, etc.

I kind of feel that having them all illustrated in the same style would kind of go against that spirit.
Thank you,that’s an interesting idea.

Faces of Nordic Reuinification

So you want to know about the Network?

Why, you’ve come to the right place!

The name’s Iivari, Keijo Iivari.

Originally from Jaakonvaara in Savolax. That’s in the Grand Principality of Finland.

Ever heard of it?

No?

A shame.

Not all Nordics are Scandinavians, you know.

Anyway, together with my esteemed colleague, Professor Lorentz down at the University of Kiel in the Duchies, I am the chief architect of the Network.

The usefulness of such a system as the Network are of course manifold, applications range from those of the landsurveyors and tablemasters at the Central Bureau of Statistics to the military intelligence and coordinations for the new united imperial Nordic forces. And, of course, giving you the election results on this grand night of 26 June 1867!

Nevertheless, as is well-known, engineers and scientists seldom embark on their odysseys to accomplish the goals they end up accomplishing. Often they have something quite different in mind all together...

Do you know why we call them Osmanians? It’s because they all stem from the Turk, the famous chessplaying machine that our late King Kustaa III came across in Vienna back in the day. That it was an elaborate hoax, of course, is irrelevant, for His Majesty wanted one of his own. He had the finest artisans put to work, and they were able to come up with some elaborate machines, termed Osmanians, that indeed could play games, most sophisticated of all, Tic-Tac-Toe.

This was however accomplished through the use of brute force, and while it is possible to solve Tic-Tac-Toe thus, after all, the 255,168 legitimate permutations trivially being reduced after taking into account reflections, rotations, etc, to a mere twenty-three orbits adding up to one hundred and twenty-six relevant combinations, it is unknown how many legitimate ways there are to play chess, only that it is among the billions and billions. Though nowadays osmanicists tend to focus their efforts elsewhere, the task of finding a solution to the Chess Computational Problem has become to us what the Philosophers’ Stone was to the alchemists of old...

Anyway, to solve it elegantly, one needs to look elsewhere to get a fresh perspective of things. Isaac Newton would go to the writings of Nicolas Flamel for inspiration. I tend to go to the writings of Abulafia and the Sefir Yetzirah. Have you ever heard of the Hebrew mystics of old who liked to think that the world was created by God by the combining and permuting of the letters of the Torah?

Oh, you have…!

Well then!

Please have a seat, make yourself comfortable!

Now God, God is in His heaven, but if you’ll just hear what I have to say, I assure you, you shall know how all is right with the world…!

keijoiivari.jpeg

Last edited:
Faces of Nordic Reuinification

So you want to know about the Network?

Why, you’ve come to the right place!

The name’s Iivari, Keijo Iivari.

Originally from Jaakonvaara in Savolax. That’s in the Grand Principality of Finland.

Ever heard of it?

No?

A shame.

Not all Nordics are Scandinavians, you know.

Anyway, together with my esteemed colleague, Professor Lorentz down at the University of Kiel in the Duchies, I am the chief architect of the Network.

The usefulness of such a system as the Network are of course manifold, applications range from those of the landsurveyors and tablemasters at the Central Bureau of Statistics to the military intelligence and coordinations for the new united imperial Nordic forces. And, of course, giving you the election results on this grand night of 26 June 1867!

Nevertheless, as is well-known, engineers and scientists seldom embark on their odysseys to accomplish the goals they end up accomplishing. Often they have something quite different in mind all together...

Do you know why we call them Osmanians? It’s because they all stem from the Turk, the famous chessplaying machine that our late King Kustaa III came across in Vienna back in the day. That it was an elaborate hoax, of course, is irrelevant, for His Majesty wanted one of his own. He had the finest artisans put to work, and they were able to come up with some elaborate machines, termed Osmanians, that indeed could play games, most sophisticated of all, Tic-Tac-Toe.

This was however accomplished through the use of brute force, and while it is possible to solve Tic-Tac-Toe thus, after all, the 255,168 legitimate permutations trivially being reduced after taking into account reflections, rotations, etc, to a mere twenty-three orbits adding up to one hundred and twenty-six relevant combinations, it is unknown how many legitimate ways there are to play chess, only that it is among the billions and billions. Though nowadays osmanicists tend to focus their efforts elsewhere, the task of finding a solution to the Chess Computational Problem has become to us what the Philosophers’ Stone was to the alchemists of old...

Anyway, to solve it elegantly, one needs to look elsewhere to get a fresh perspective of things. Isaac Newton would go to the writings of Nicolas Flamel for inspiration. I tend to go to the writings of Abulafia and the Sefir Yetzirah. Have you ever heard of the Hebrew mystics of old who liked to think that the world was created by God by the combining and permuting of the letters of the Torah?

Oh, you have…!

Well then!

Please have a seat, make yourself comfortable!

Now God, God is in His heaven, but if you’ll just hear what I have to say, I assure you, you shall know how all is right with the world…!

View attachment 10113
😃

Back