• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Makemakean Does Various Graphical Things!

@Ares96 will of course be delighted to know that that damned Finnish border turns out to be more difficult than I had imagined. My PoD is in 1773, so the closest time the border was set and regulated was in 1743, in the Treaty of Åbo, Article 7, which simply says that the border in Lappland remains unchanged, and to remain as it was in the Treaty of Nystad. The Treaty of Nystad from 1721 says in Article 7 merely that the border in Lappland is to remain as it was before the war. Okaaaay... I keep going back, and I find the most clear definition of the border is simply Tsar Fyodor in 1595 agreeing to renounce the right to tax the Sami "from Ostrobothnia to Varangerfjord", the latter of which is nowadays in Norway.

Pretty much all maps of Sweden from before 1809 have cartographers who are frankly avoiding the trouble entirely by simply leaving out the northernmost part of the realm:

Charta_%C3%B6fver_Svea_och_G%C3%B6ta_Riken_med_Finland_och_Norland.jpg

Urrrgh...

@Ares96 will of course be delighted to know that that damned Finnish border turns out to be more difficult than I had imagined. My PoD is in 1773, so the closest time the border was set and regulated was in 1743, in the Treaty of Åbo, Article 7, which simply says that the border in Lappland remains unchanged, and to remain as it was in the Treaty of Nystad. The Treaty of Nystad from 1721 says in Article 7 merely that the border in Lappland is to remain as it was before the war. Okaaaay... I keep going back, and I find the most clear definition of the border is simply Tsar Fyodor in 1595 agreeing to renounce the right to tax the Sami "from Ostrobothnia to Varangerfjord", the latter of which is nowadays in Norway.

Pretty much all maps of Sweden from before 1809 have cartographers who are frankly avoiding the trouble entirely by simply leaving out the northernmost part of the realm:

Urrrgh...
That map does have an inset of the area though, so not sure how it fits your point?

ISTR they surveyed the boundaries with Norway and Russia in the mid to late 18th century, with the exception of the northeastern corner which took until about 1815 to work out.

View attachment 9690

Thinking of doing a series entitled "Faces of Nordic Reunification" to serve as a guide of sorts to the various political players who on the 26 June 1867 go into the First Nordic Union Election. The above is of course Hugo Hubert Ribbing, Chancery President of Sweden since 1861 (slated to be her last), a loyal member of the Hat party, presently standing for the Älvsborg County burgher constituency. The protégé of the late Henrik Johan Palmstierna, Ribbing got the job when the former died, and he has actually (unlike his benefactor) had a very cordial relationship with the present King of Sweden and Norway, Arthur, slated to become co-Emperor across the North when the Kalmar Constitution comes into effect on 20 July 1867.

He seems a happy and chill guy.

Urrrgh...

Next time you're in France or I in Sweden, I really, really need to show you two things I acquired last week.

Next time you're in France or I in Sweden, I really, really need to show you two things I acquired last week.

Yes, I need to hand over your Christmas present too at some point. Was thinking of taking my yearly trip to Paris some time in April or May, but I'm not quite sure how that works what with Mr. Richards coming over, and while I anticipate that you don't mind guests, you're probably a bit adverse to turning your apartment into a proper hostel... My parents however are really keen on me going down again, since prior to me actually taking this test at the embassy they did not think that I was serious about French.

Yes, I need to hand over your Christmas present too at some point. Was thinking of taking my yearly trip to Paris some time in April or May, but I'm not quite sure how that works what with Mr. Richards coming over, and while I anticipate that you don't mind guests, you're probably a bit adverse to turning your apartment into a proper hostel... My parents however are really keen on me going down again, since prior to me actually taking this test at the embassy they did not think that I was serious about French.

I've got two weeks of idle vacation time from April 20th to May 6th and Alex isn't there before the end of May.

You are Sten Broman and I claim my five grammar nitpicks.

I am sort of surprised to learn from reading his Wikipedia article that he shared my liking for avantgarde chamber music.

Only ever came across Jean Cartan because I am a great admirer of his brother and father, both great mathematicians.

Having looked into the mathematics of the Mercator projection, I know feel quite sorry for poor Gerard Mercator for being labelled a western imperialist intent on distorting the deptiction of countries in the service of Western white supremacy. I always just assumed that the thing with the Mercator projection was that it preserved angles locally, but, and this I feel really ashamed for, having actually taken courses in differential geometry, that is true of any fucking conformal mapping. Hell, that was something that was even mentioned in that book about multivariate calculus I copied by hand when I was 19, I really should have fucking known better.

The Mercator projection preserves straight lines of constant bearing, which is a whole 'nother thing, and is far from a trivial problem to serve. Indeed, this a mathematical problem that is ideally solved in the language of calculus, and the Wikipedia article discusses the mathematics of the matter in terms of infinitesimal changes. And Gerard Mercator sorted this thing out a century before Isaac Newton was even born! This man was a hero! He deserves our respect and veneration!

My main objection with the Peters projection (not Gall-Peters in this case, Gall is innocent) is Peters' insistence that his map is 'objectively' correct and without issue, despite this being physically impossible to achieve.

Perfectly possible to make an objectively correct map, but that’s inevitably going to be a somewhat deformed sphere that is rather impractical to use in most cases.

Having looked into the mathematics of the Mercator projection, I know feel quite sorry for poor Gerard Mercator for being labelled a western imperialist intent on distorting the deptiction of countries in the service of Western white supremacy. I always just assumed that the thing with the Mercator projection was that it preserved angles locally, but, and this I feel really ashamed for, having actually taken courses in differential geometry, that is true of any fucking conformal mapping. Hell, that was something that was even mentioned in that book about multivariate calculus I copied by hand when I was 19, I really should have fucking known better.

The Mercator projection preserves straight lines of constant bearing, which is a whole 'nother thing, and is far from a trivial problem to serve. Indeed, this a mathematical problem that is ideally solved in the language of calculus, and the Wikipedia article discusses the mathematics of the matter in terms of infinitesimal changes. And Gerard Mercator sorted this thing out a century before Isaac Newton was even born! This man was a hero! He deserves our respect and veneration!
Furthermore Mercator's earlier maps used a cordiform projection IIRC so he also beat Hallmark to representing the world as a heart.

Back