• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Makemakean Does Various Graphical Things!

I don't think I'll be able to make a good picture of Nicolas Andersen though, no matter how much I try, because my idea of him as a character is kind of more a feeling than an actual visual image in my mind. My idea of him is that he is, in a sense, the ultimate politician, in that he can convince everyone that he is, fundamentally, on their side. That in the end, he understands all their concerns precisely, and he will fight for them, but, alas, politics is the art of the possible, sometimes, you have to be pragmatic, sometimes you have to compromise, and it's a shame and everything, but there you have it. But you can trust me, I am on your side.

Thus, I feel that if one were to depict him, one would sort of have to make allowance for, who is it who is looking at him? Through whose eyes are we seeing him? That sort of depending on who he is dealing with, he appears younger than he really is, he appears older than he really is, he appears more handsome than he really is, he appears uglier than he really is, etc. That he always appears to be precisely the sort of individual that the person who is looking at him wants him to be.

Like, in my many, many notes I keep around about my characters, I have it written this idea that you know, the ultimate film to be made about him would be, he has died, his funeral has passed, a bunch of people meet at a bar, none of them have met one another before, each one have a story to tell of when they met him, and how they found him to be a wonderful chap and everything, only the thing is, in every single one of the stories in this anthology, he is portrayed by a different actor.

Alas, as in all things, my ambition far, far outweighs my ability. Still, I consider myself blessed that I have the small loyal group of followers on this forum. :)

Last edited:
I don't think I'll be able to make a good picture of Nicolas Andersen though, no matter how much I try, because my idea of him as a character is kind of more a feeling than an actual visual image in my mind. My idea of him is that he is, in a sense, the ultimate politician, in that he can convince everyone that he is, fundamentally, on their side. That in the end, he understands all their concerns precisely, and he will fight for them, but, alas, politics is the art of the possible, sometimes, you have to be pragmatic, sometimes you have to compromise, and it's a shame and everything, but there you have it. But you can trust me, I am on your side.

Thus, I feel that if one were to depict him, one would sort of have to make allowance for, who is it who is looking at him? Through whose eyes are we seeing him? That sort of depending on who he is dealing with, he appears younger than he really is, he appears older than he really is, he appears more handsome than he really is, he appears uglier than he really is, etc. That he always appears to be precisely the sort of individual that the person who is looking at him wants him to be.
D8B795F8-3BE3-414C-A98F-C5D2812F7B94.jpeg

I'll be getting a new computer this weekend, but while we wait for that, and me having enough space on my scratch disks to use Photoshop again, let me upload this picture I got Stable Diffusion to make for me the other week of Emmy Nicander by my process of modify, plug in modify result plug in again, modify, plug in again, etc., etc., etc.

Emmy Nicander - undated.png

I'm not entirely sure about this one truth be told... It's a bit... it's a bit too saccharine, I feel. I feel Emmy should, in some sense, radiate determination. That she's got emotional endurance beyond her years. That this is a girl that you just cannot move to tears.

I'm not entirely sure about this one truth be told... It's a bit... it's a bit too saccharine, I feel. I feel Emmy should, in some sense, radiate determination. That she's got emotional endurance beyond her years. That this is a girl that you just cannot move to tears.
I imagine it might be quite hard to square those traits with artistic depictions of Victorian children.

Had to figure out some way to clear the skratch disks since I had to do an online class earlier today. In the end, I just installed a newer version of Photoshop, and, err-... that ended up doing the trick. So, back to the telephone game, it is!

In the meanwhile, with some cutting and pasting and reiterated Stable Diffusing, I was able to generate this one. I call it Jesus teaching the Nephites that their entire culture and history is a lie.

nQZc1M7.png

As quick as this thing is, it can often require quite a lot of iterations and cutting and pasting to get to your desired result. In particular because there is a limit to the level of details that it can handle in a single picture. For instance, I got this result just typing in "beautiful woman in orange space suit floating around in space station":

beautiful-woman-floating-in-space-station-wearing-orange-jumpsuit-unreal-engine-greg-rutkowski...png

Pretty neat, pretty nifty. But not too neat. Not to nifty.

Two hours and a million iterations and cutting-and-pastings later, I've finally gotten this out of it:

YFHmU6m.png

Made another AI thing. I was particularly pleased with the castle in the background.

Womanwithicecastle.png

That's really good, which programme did you use

Thank you. Well, it took a million iterations or so to get there, but it was entirely using Playground AI. :)

This was what I originally started out with, and from thence I worked my way out:

IzzyFaceWinter.png

I had to add, modify, change, etc., etc. continuously give the AI new backgrounds to work with. Took forever. I honestly for the life of me cannot see how this is illegitimate as a form of art, but for some reason, when I take a couple of photos that some other people have taken, slightly modify the angles, trace the outlines, and change the colour scheme, as I did with my picture of Rome this summer, it is somehow legitimate.

Last edited:
I honestly for the life of me cannot see how this is illegitimate as a form of art, but for some reason, when I take a couple of photos that some other people have taken, slightly modify the angles, trace the outlines, and change the colour scheme, as I did with my picture of Rome this summer, it is somehow legitimate.

I think it's a matter of effort; the common conception is that people just do it to be lazy or to save money. I can't speak to how many people fall under that category, of course, but I know what the people I know tend to think about it.

I think it's a matter of effort; the common conception is that people just do it to be lazy or to save money. I can't speak to how many people fall under that category, of course, but I know what the people I know tend to think about it.

Well, I'm afraid I must say that that then just strikes me as pure prejudice, I mean, you can just as easily use that charge against the collage of Rome referenced earlier.

The argument being that instead of using photographs others had taken, I ought to have gotten myself a camera and gone Rome myself and myself taken the photographs. Or perhaps that too is cheap and lazy. I ought to have drawn the buildings myself.

Already posted this in Non-Fungible Theorems, but might as well post it here too. In retrospect, it's clear that the back does not line up with the right leg, but I'm too lazy to fix this now. It was still a pretty fun exercise making this drawing.

View attachment 65706

'You see Commander Bond, soon my zeppelin will be fully operational, and I'll be the most powerful man in Europe- nay, the world!'

It reminds me of autotune. It can be used to fix singing, to some degree. So people assume that's *all* its for and miss the bigger picture, ignoring music that is created using it.

It is a problematic art form because it utilises other people's work in such a blatant way and potentially takes resources from them. But to a degree, ethics is an engineering problem. It *can* be made ethical. It's not inherently bad as people seem to think

It reminds me of autotune. It can be used to fix singing, to some degree. So people assume that's *all* its for and miss the bigger picture, ignoring music that is created using it.

It is a problematic art form because it utilises other people's work in such a blatant way and potentially takes resources from them. But to a degree, ethics is an engineering problem. It *can* be made ethical. It's not inherently bad as people seem to think

I’m afraid that I respectfully must disagree. I don’t think it utilizes other people’s work in a way any more problematic than a basic collage, and for the overwhelming majority of cases, I think it does a far more granular job of rendering the whole process more original and transformative. I also genuinely think that there’s no substantial problem with these artists not being recompensed for the fact that their works are used for sampling any more than the mathematicians and statisticians and computer scientists on whose academic work all this depends not being recompensed, either.

Decided that the Isaurian from the thing I wrote yesterday deserve a somewhat more elaborate space suit than the one that Stable Diffusion delivered me. Made me realize I have no idea what the various parts of a space suits actually does. Then again, the costume designers from TOS didn't seem to know either. Cobbled together this from a few sources. Wanted something that looked retro but still futuristic. Luxurious, but simple.

I think in the final image I'll make the colours more gold-ish and less yellow-orangey.

Anya da Veiga Space Suit Sketch.jpg

Back