• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Lost Cause: Genre Trope to Avoid

Song of the South of course was released on home video in Europe.

In all honestly, the worst sin of the live action elements is that they are incredibly dull watching.

Though considering the happy ending is 'little Johnny's grandmother has to give in and let her grandson hang out with the nice black man and he gets to keep on hearing African-American folk stories' it probably falls into that weird category along with Uncle Tom's Cabin of being weirdly progressive and also definitely extremely racist at the same time.

Song of the South of course was released on home video in Europe.

Got a pub quiz question wrong because of that. The question was about which controversial disney film was never released and we said song of the south but then we had all seen that so decided it couldn't have been. Never really forgave racism for that.

A mate of mine from Georgia has written about being aghast, during arguments over the state flag, with all these people lying the Civil War was about slavery when he knew it was about states rights - so he went to look at the Articles of Secession and other primary sources so he could prove it online. And that's how he learned everything he'd been taught about the Lost Cause was wrong. (Whereas the lost causers he saw would always cite what the Confederates wrote after they'd lost and needed to cover their arses)

A mate of mine from Georgia has written about being aghast, during arguments over the state flag, with all these people lying the Civil War was about slavery when he knew it was about states rights - so he went to look at the Articles of Secession and other primary sources so he could prove it online. And that's how he learned everything he'd been taught about the Lost Cause was wrong. (Whereas the lost causers he saw would always cite what the Confederates wrote after they'd lost and needed to cover their arses)

Being born and raised in Alabama, I can vouch for this being the experience for an awful lot of folks IF they bother to go looking beyond what they learned in fourth grade Alabama history classes. I've also had the experience of seeing people arguing on Facebook, saying Alabama didn't succeed due to slavery while citing the Alabama Ordinance of Secession to back their case, having apparently never read it. The Lost Cause myth is deeply entrenched here, to put it mildly.

It's also partly the reason why, despite having a Civil War alternate history idea, I've decided for the moment not to pursue writing about it.

Back