• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

That TL fails to answer a crucial question: what the hell is President Gore eating that causes him to poop 4 times a day?
we may never know

your damn quote obscured my quick edit to make it an actual quote

Just had this (and several, shall we, say right-wing fantasies by the same author to my bemusement) "recommended" to me by Amazon. I'm almost tempted to spend the $4 to see if it's as dumb as the blurb suggests.

America developed the atomic bomb in early 1944. President Roosevelt decided to secretly mass produce the weapons and also rushed into production a massive new bomber that combined conventional propellers and the new jet engines. The new bomber had the range to fly thousands of miles, it was named the Peacemaker, the B-36. Roosevelt decided on a war plan where the new bombers would strike every major city in both Germany and Japan at the same time. It took over a year to produce the weapons and bombers.

America converted six factories to change production from B-17s and B-29s to the new plane. Over two hundred thousand people worked around the clock on parts which many times made no sense to them, parts of the atomic bombs. The bombs were assembled in six different locations, when both the bombers and bombs were ready, General LeMay, the newly promoted commander of the new US Air Force ordered the fleets of bombers to strike Germany and Japan.

In a few hours, both countries ceased to exist. Roosevelt didn't live long enough to see the aftermath of his war plan, his VP, Truman assumed the office and decided on a drastic path, never again would anyone ever strike America again. He threatened the world that any country that attempted to strike America again would be destroyed, completed destroyed by America's newest weapons. Soviet Chairman Stalin used spies to steal the secret of atomic weapons.

When Stalin's initial reactors melted down in a run-away reaction and began spreading radiation Truman ordered the site destroyed. Stalin threatened Truman if American planes entered Soviet Air Space, to show Truman he meant business, he sent two army groups to invade the American territory of Alaska, saying he was voiding the purchase agreement whereby America purchased Alaska from Russia.

Truman responded by destroyed Moscow and a handful of other cities. The world was shocked and scared. The French demanded compensation to help them rebuild, Truman laughed at them. Poland demanded assistance since the fallout from the German attacks had spread over her farmland. In the election of 1948, Truman selected General George Patton as his VP with an eye as setting him up to replace him. They both decided to bring back the recently retired General MacArthur as commander of Asian forces to stop Communist China from conquering all of Asia.

The rest of the world began to secretly meet and discuss how they could get their freedom back, many countries agreed to form a common military of insurgents to cross into America and cause them internal strife, causing America to focus internally. This is the story of what if Truman had rejected the Marshall plan and used its atomic weapons to force their peace on the world, Pax Americana.

Just had this (and several, shall we, say right-wing fantasies by the same author to my bemusement) "recommended" to me by Amazon. I'm almost tempted to spend the $4 to see if it's as dumb as the blurb suggests.
I've seen the summaries of this and a few other of this author's books on the Zon. I looked inside a couple, and the stories are horribly written from a technical standpoint (spelling and grammar make it difficult to read). The blurbs and snippets I've read make it clear that this author is heavily right-wring and prone to "'Murica! Fuck yeah!" In one sense, someone's political leanings are their business. But in this case it means that the author depicts anyone who's not right-wing (or not American) as ridiculous, implausible caricatures which are both pure fantasy and totally uninteresting to read about.

On the plus side, the author confuses "book blurb" with "synopsis of the entire plot", so at least it makes it easy to know what the book contains and so avoid such things.

Back