• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

There was a Stalin on the day of Barbarossa SI that was quite well done, focussing on the divide between the panicking internal monologue of the SI and later historians trying to account for Stalin's total about face in personality, probably due to a breakdown in the face of the stress.

There was a Stalin on the day of Barbarossa SI that was quite well done, focussing on the divide between the panicking internal monologue of the SI and later historians trying to account for Stalin's total about face in personality, probably due to a breakdown in the face of the stress.

Do you have a link? That does sound vaguely amusing.

Or we, the International Congress of Good Taste, assembled, admit all SIs are incredibly dumb.
It seems to me that of all the exercises one can do to explore History it is the most pointless. There are always different figures, different movements, different actions of millions. But to scoop someone's brain out and put someone else in there is not just pointless, and dumb its also one of the most lazy ways you can write.

Holy shit, you’ve found one that is halfway interesting! Better still, I don’t see anyone inserting themselves into Robb Stark to murder the Frey’s or fuck a dragon or whatever happens in the endless GoT SI’s being pumped out daily at the Zoo.

Yeah, it's a way of writing about history with hindsight that is almost self-congratulatory.
One way to play it that would be kind of fun would be for the SI to have hindsight, but to be unable to play politics well and fail because being an Internet nerd is terrible training for leading a country.

One way to play it that would be kind of fun would be for the SI to have hindsight, but to be unable to play politics well and fail because being an Internet nerd is terrible training for leading a country.
Comrade Mao's decision to stop shaving his neck leads to the triumph of the 28 Bolsheviks.

Or even just not have any detailed knowledge of the personage or era and their confused and desperate attempts have the opposite effect of their intentions.

I didn't even know this was a story trend! Bloody hell

Oh it was huge, hundreds of timelines on places like spacebattles. What I would do if I was put into the body of Nicholas II or the like.

The spin off trend was historical figures into the bodies of other historical figures. So Teddy Roosevelt in the body of Barack Obama and the like.

Some of that was really icky in terms of using real alive figures, I vaguely remember a one where Reinhard Heydrich (The War Criminal) and Maria Sharapova (the tennis player) were put into the bodies of a married austrian noble family in around 1890 and the story is about them as a love story and power couple.

I know historical writing has to deal with real people but that felt like the sort of thing Sharapova would want taken down if she knew about it.

Or even just not have any detailed knowledge of the personage or era and their confused and desperate attempts have the opposite effect of their intentions.
Reginald Maulding SIed into 1866 Carol I of Romania’s body,being revolted by just everything in 19th Century Romanian politics and having to constantly remind people that no,Romania can’t back France against its war with Prussia just because Romania really love France and could they please stop being so bigoted,even Bismarck is calling them out

The spin off trend was historical figures into the bodies of other historical figures.
Oh man, I remember this one-off/vignette thread on the other place ages and ages ago that I saw when I was in my teens that had Che Guevara inserted into the body of a 19th-century American (just found the thread and it's Nicholas Biddle) and it ended with him leading the 1833 slave revolt in Cuba. But looking at it now, holy shit it's wild. Not only does Che get inserted into Nicholas Biddle's body and advises Jackson on the banking issue, but also several leading Democrats are replaced by prominent Cuban Communist cadres.

Some of that was really icky in terms of using real alive figures, I vaguely remember a one where Reinhard Heydrich (The War Criminal) and Maria Sharapova (the tennis player) were put into the bodies of a married austrian noble family in around 1890 and the story is about them as a love story and power couple.

That sounds like the sort of thing someone would do as a joke. What TL is that?

EDIT: Wait, I found it by searching up "Heydrich Sharapova" on the AH.com search bar, in case you are interested the TL's name is "Rudolf will Reign, Dear"

EDIT: Wait, I found it by searching up "Heydrich Sharapova" on the AH.com search bar, in case you are interested the TL's name is "Rudolf will Reign, Dear"

Think that was on pre-1900 for ages before it got moved to ASB. I also remember the writer making some very dodgy-sounding replies on post-1900.

The old board was well-moderated.

I googled it, expecting for the first result to be on the other place. First result was on Amazon, not just as a kindle ebook, but also as a paperback.

It seems to me that of all the exercises one can do to explore History it is the most pointless. There are always different figures, different movements, different actions of millions. But to scoop someone's brain out and put someone else in there is not just pointless, and dumb its also one of the most lazy ways you can write.

It depends. Any historical figure, good or bad, operated within a framework that dictated what they could or couldn't do. From our point of view, FDR should have declared war on Nazi Germany on 1939 or attacked Japan in 1940 ... perhaps even made far more obvious preparations for war in 1941; from their point of view, it was politically impossible to do anything of the sort. And that's in a decent state. If the SI is in Hitler's body and he decides not to launch the war, or carry out mass slaughter and genocide, or anything else along those lines, there's a good chance he'll be killed by his own subordinates.

If it was done well, it might teach a lot about real history. But it would have to be done very well.

Back