• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

"Breaking News: Spain agrees to drop all claims to Gibraltar and has, in fact, offered Britain more Spanish land. In other news, the Prime Minister of Spain is recovering after his painful shaving accident"
“You bastard Micheal, you killed Andropov to hasten the decline of the Soviet Union to ensure unliteral nuclear disarmament”
“Oh no, he was already dead before I could do anything”
“Oh, well Chernenko then”
“Same”
“Oh...the Soviet Union needs younger leaders”
“Yeah, or the ability to absorb the youth of your enemies...speaking of which...”
I really doubt the camp probably asexual man would be one to us shit. I think Mr Gabb just seems to every British politician acts like Denis Healey and went from there.

At what point do we invoke what was previously said (correctly) about NDCR in relation to Sean Gabb's AH career, that it's been done to death by this point?

Tbh the only reason I've heard of it is because people on here keep going on about it. The notion that because something is published on Amazon, thus it has automatic cachet is giving way too much credit to Gabb-level stuff in an age of relatively easy online publishing.

The only discount purely from its context rather than content on NDCR that I can think of is that it was produced by someone who probably wasn't an adult*. But other than that it had way more standing and readers in the AH community than anything Gabb has produced. So I think this whole notion of an absolute seperation between published and non-published is wrong.

*Though this works both ways as while it was dismissed by adult readers it clearly had a huge youth following.

Last edited:
At what point do we invoke what was previously said (correctly) about NDCR in relation to Sean Gabb's AH career, that it's been done to death by this point?

Tbh the only reason I've heard of it is because people on here keep going on about it. The notion that because something is published on Amazon, thus it has automatic cachet is giving way too much credit to Gabb-level stuff in an age of relatively easy online publishing.

The only discount purely from its context rather than content on NDCR that I can think of is that it was produced by someone who probably wasn't an adult*. But other than that it had way more standing and readers in the AH community than anything Gabb has produced. So I think this whole notion of an absolute seperation between published and non-published is wrong.

*Though this works both ways as while it was dismissed by adult readers it clearly had a huge youth following.

I think this is just more evidence of a need for a thread to chat about AH generally surely.

A thread about the worst is always going to come back to the same 2 or 3 examples.

I think this is just more evidence of a need for a thread to chat about AH generally surely.

A thread about the worst is always going to come back to the same 2 or 3 examples.

Yeah, this. It's either returning to the same few examples (however deserving) or jumping on the newest object of derision (again, however deserving). A general "the good and the bad" AH thread would be a lot more open and less potentially toxic.

(Would it be better placed here in Non-SLP Published Work or in Scenarios and Points of Divergence?)

Last edited:

Ha, just noticed The Churchill Memorandum blurb has a quote on it:

A quote taken from the second Anarcho-Capitalism article, which is not exactly pro the ideology and in context is going "so uh hey that book's a thing that exists".

Not quite as ballsy as the time the poster for the Tom Hardy Kray's film stuck a two-star review between the Krays so you'd 'read' it as a partially obscured four-star.
@Makemakean was the name of the monster, not the creator.

I'm not trying to dox or reveal anything about NDCR's primary author but I do know that he is an adult and was throughout the writing of it. As for the people "collabing" in Part 3, just knowing the demographics of AH.com I'm sure at least a few of them are teenagers and I'm sure many of NDCR's fans are as well.

Stuart Slade has passed away.

He was a vindictive and not as clever as he thought he was a man whose politics devolved from a libertarian sort of conservatism to full-on reactionaryism. His writing was also... not good, and whilst an expert in his field it was expertise didn't extend beyond that field.

But in interacting, and eventually arguing with him online in various places I developed and changed and grew as a person. Probably not in a way he'd like but still.

So I'll pour one out for the bitter old bastard. If there is an afterlife, he's probably already planning a nuclear strike on it. Or ranting at someone about something he thinks he knows about but doesn't.

Last edited:
Ha, just noticed The Churchill Memorandum blurb has a quote on it:

A quote taken from the second Anarcho-Capitalism article, which is not exactly pro the ideology and in context is going "so uh hey that book's a thing that exists".

Not quite as ballsy as the time the poster for the Tom Hardy Kray's film stuck a two-star review between the Krays so you'd 'read' it as a partially obscured four-star.

I found it amusing at first, then I got a bit worried since it might make it look like I was some sort of spokesman for SLP, and that as such the company had somehow endorsed the publication.

I wrote @Meadow about it, and his reply was basically that he also found the situation amusing, and while the snippet as presented might be construed or misinterpreted in that way, he felt that since the text in question had been published on the SLP blog, they fundamentally had to take responsibility for having said it, and they just felt a sense of "well, I suppose we're going to have to live with it, then", and besides, he didn't really think there was any risk of anything bad happening. That it was a fun little thing, and we should leave it at that.

And that's the advice that I followed.

For the record, it is not exactly meant to be anti the ideology either.

I wasn't aiming for "dispassionate, detached, disinterested, perfect objectivity", but rather, I tried to be as sympathetic as an outsider as I could, and still provide a good and fair introduction to it. That said, I felt I also needed to say that there were things I found very much unpalatable, and some things that I just found weird and that I think the overwhelming majority of people, wherever they are on the ideological spectrum, will agree are just very weird--like Hans-Hermann Hoppe's endorsement of absolute monarchy.

My hope was that any anarcho-capitalist who read the text might disagree with my final assessment of the ideology, but that regardless they would have to concede that it was not written in bad faith.

If I can, I do find timelines where people are SI’d into Louis XVI to be rather weird. I mean, bleeding hell, the readership was outright encouraging the author to immediately put Robespierre to death even though he isn’t even a teenager yet. Hell, the SI himself was already plotting Marat’s death even though, at the time, he was no one important.

I think my problem is that they seem pretty great man-ish in theory. They think that, if we eliminate this specific person, then the movements they represented wouldn’t exist. That’s not good history, and I’d love it if an SI would acknowledge that.

If I can, I do find timelines where people are SI’d into Louis XVI to be rather weird. I mean, bleeding hell, the readership was outright encouraging the author to immediately put Robespierre to death even though he isn’t even a teenager yet. Hell, the SI himself was already plotting Marat’s death even though, at the time, he was no one important.

I think my problem is that they seem pretty great man-ish in theory. They think that, if we eliminate this specific person, then the movements they represented wouldn’t exist. That’s not good history, and I’d love it if an SI would acknowledge that.
Or we, the International Congress of Good Taste, assembled, admit all SIs are incredibly dumb.

Back