• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

For worst published AH, I've read than it's probably Harry Harrison's Stars and Stripes trilogy. There's no shortage of bad Alternate Civil War stories, both professional and fan made, but this will probably remained burned in my mind for how mind numbing it got for me.

Probably also where my distaste for Trent Affair War POD's was planted, that only grew over the years of it clogging up Civil War threads at AH.com. For a while I considered writing a parody TL of the confcept where a war over the Trent Affair does break out but it ends up like the Quasi-War (some ship skirmishes and border raids and ends relatively quickly and ignominiously.

what is it? I'm banned so I can't see the page.

Opening sequence:

Tis hard to see the mighty prancing war horse, trampling the dying and dead beneath their merciless feet. No dear wife, near to speak a word of comfort. No living sister or Mother to administer relief in that hour the most sad in the history of humanity. O the humanity. O the horrors of war. Truly it may be considered the most cruel and awful scourge which can befall a nation. Heaven grant there may be an end soon.
Samuel D. Lougheed, 1862

The suggestion that there's ever going to be civil discourse in this country for the foreseeable future is over, it's not going to be...And, as I say to my friends, I do two things; I vote, and I buy guns.
Joe DiGenova, 2019

It will probably be asked, Why not retain and incorporate the blacks into the state, and thus save the expense of supplying, by importation of white settlers, the vacancies they will leave? Deep rooted prejudices entertained by the whites; ten thousand recollections, by the blacks, of the injuries they have sustained; new provocations; the real distinctions which nature has made; and many other circumstances, will divide us into parties, and produce convulsions which will probably never end but in the extermination of the one or the other race.
Thomas Jefferson, 1785

I don't think you all are remembering that a war upon guns can't be won. It would mean pushing a full half of this nation into open hostility with the other half. While the one side is figuring out which words to ban and which bathrooms to use the other will be surrounding your cities, starving your supporters out from lack of food and fuel. Remember that the vast majority of the guns are in the hands of those most opposed to your repealing of the Second Amendment. No, you dare not make a war upon the Second Amendment. The Second Amendment is king! You laugh now because you'll find out soon enough, Washington is waging a war against guns, and soon war is what they'll get in return.
US Representative from Idaho, 2034

I do hereby declare, that the electoral results from the States of California, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New York, Illinois, New Mexico, Oregon, Maryland, and Washington DC are null and void, and not recognized by the State of South Carolina.
Governor Bright, 2040

Back