• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

This is an unwritten role in "For All Time" isn't it?

President Jones
Governor Jim Jones
Chairman Chikatilo

The logical continuation is Shipman being PM. IIRC Fred West was an admiral in Roem's continuation of the story.

Is it not OTL's Alan West? Surely not Fred.

Is it not OTL's Alan West? Surely not Fred.

For all time had a running thing of serial killers in positions of power. I just looked up "Well Enough Alone" (which is really good, just to clarify given its this thread) and yeah, there's a cameo by Admiral Fred West

oh did you mean S.M Stirling, not Bruce? I haven't read any of those. I think younger me would've liked Dies the first and Nantucket
Yes, S.M. In any case I've always suspected Dies The Fire to have been cribbed from Ravage, an apocalyptic novel by Barjavel published in 1943 and based on an identical premise.

I'm going to point out that there is no feasible way for a Shuttle to have 'gone off course and crashed in the middle of a city'. If a Shuttle launch, or any rocket launch, found itself heading towards a populated area, the range safety officer would destroy the vehicle.

I think that would depend on the circumstances of the abort mode and what what was actually happening. The boosters themselves would have had destruct devices, but I don't think the shuttles themselves ever did. It would be really, really rare circumstances where the Shuttle might get into an abort situation where it might be coming down on Spain, or Cape Cod, but it wasn't impossible, just highly unlikely.

Wondering if the 'Jews in Warsaw cooperate with The Race because they don't try and exterminate them like the Nazis' still stands up or comes across as Rather Dubious Now
I remember Moishe as being one of the most sympathetic POVs, and it's not like he and Mordecai actually like the Race much (indeed, they work against them too later on).

I read it more as logical strategy - the Race working with eastern European Jews and also with the Poles as it fit the Race's geopolitical interests at that time - and both Jewish and Polish resistance saw the benefits

It's a first novel in the pop-AH genre, so I'm willing to be more forgiving, but Conroy's 1901 is a terrible mess. Even leaving the premise, the hamfisted characters, and the conference room infodumps aside, the battles are bad, and that's what dooms it.

This is an unwritten role in "For All Time" isn't it?

President Jones
Governor Jim Jones
Chairman Chikatilo

The logical continuation is Shipman being PM. IIRC Fred West was an admiral in Roem's continuation of the story.
Harold Shipman's fate is actually specified in the epilogue to For All Time: he serves as head doctor of a massive hospital in Nigeria before being found dead with a syringe of something poisonous stuck in his leg.

I remember my Dad wondering what would have happened if the Tunguska meteorite had landed on Moscow or St Petersburg.

a good chunk of history from 1908 onwards would be rewritten, especially as there's a good chance Communism wouldn't have come to power.
This sort of happens in "The Longest Road" - volume nine of my "House of Stuart Sequence" which I have just sent to SLP for future publication...

And it could ery well have happened, it was a matter of Earth rotation... it come close...

Truth is, had the meteor come two hours earlier, it would have passed close from Earth on its orbit around the Sun, but missed it. The only way would be to give the metor a slightly higher speed over the previous decades and centuries, so that is still slams into Earth, with Moscow having rotated with Earth and become a huge target in place of Tungska.

Another interesting whatif is Tambora and Krakatoa erupting, not 68 years apart (1815 and 1883) but the same year or only months apart. Dear God. You can kiss Indonesia goodbye, 92 000 + 36 000 death OTL, probably much more ITTL.
Those two ranks among the five biggest volcanic eruption in human recent history. They actually wrecked the climate for months and years at a time. Krakatoa explosion was heard 2000 miles away, loudest sound ever recorded.

Then, if you divide 68 by two, that's 34 years. 1815 + 34 or 1883 - 34 = 1849.

Kaboom go the Indonesian monster volcanoes, and down the drain goes the weather - the year without a summer happening the year after 1848, hell of a moment in Europe history, France included.
There will be blood.

Last edited:
There's a TL going on in AH.com chat where Elizabeth Warren becomes president in 2024 and because she makes some vague statements in support of gun control and hate crime legislation every red state secedes, makes a constitution which does away with secularism, abortion and same-sex marriage (and also has a balanced budget amendment), and wins every battle while the US government is presumably eating paste or something.

There's a TL going on in AH.com chat where Elizabeth Warren becomes president in 2024 and because she makes some vague statements in support of gun control and hate crime legislation every red state secedes, makes a constitution which does away with secularism, abortion and same-sex marriage (and also has a balanced budget amendment), and wins every battle while the US government is presumably eating paste or something.
It seems to be hugely popular.

Couldn't the US just buy it all back for cents-on-the-dollar at the secessionists' fire sale when they go bankrupt in about a fortnight?

Back