• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

I also think that they're an example of a strange problem AH has, which is that it sometimes-in all its forms-seems to balk at being truly audacious, for a lack of a better word. Maybe it's just the expectations are higher, and there's often understandable reasons (like anything aimed a wide audience needing to be something they can get) but I've noticed its there.
Neither agreeing nor disagreeing, but I'd be curious to know what you mean by audacious.

Remains very funny to me that the Cultural Marxism guy was an advisor to Gary Hart.

The 1980s were a very odd time, especially as regards military reform. An oddball like Lind who kept repeating that all the bells and whistles that the Pentagon were investing in were a waste of time had a definite appeal to a McGovernite like Hart, with the non-military portions of his beliefs being viewed as his own business.

Victoria (I know this very well firsthand) is many, many bad things. However, I do not consider it to be "alternate history" beyond the very loose definition where almost any general fiction is technically alternate history.

It is closer than most works of this sort--not least of all in that it was clearly started in the '90s about a version of the Double Aughts that never were, and then retrofitted to be about a late Twenty-Teens and onwards that also never were. But yes, in the end, it doesn't count.

Yeah, that is not a subversion.

I do like TvTropes for a few things (it's good for finding quotes by theme, or fanfiction recommendations) but it really does have a problem with word definitions. Apparently "subverted" means "not always until the end of time", and "deconstructed" means "has consequences of any kind".

I do like TvTropes for a few things (it's good for finding quotes by theme, or fanfiction recommendations) but it really does have a problem with word definitions. Apparently "subverted" means "not always until the end of time", and "deconstructed" means "has consequences of any kind".

Imagine a version of Wikipedia founded by people convinced they're too cool for Wikipedia.

Conservapedia is less 'too cool' and more 'that dorky born-again who runs a Bible study club'.
Pretty sure it’s gone from “dorky born again running a Bible study” to “theocratic fringe madman keeping his kidnapped daughter-wives in a old bomb shelter, purposely making sure they’re oblivious about the wider world.” I’m also 87% confident it’ll merge with Metapedia one day to become the ultimate racist, tasteless wiki of all white terrorists everywhere by 2025.

Run by a Fail Son

So's Infogalactic.

Pretty sure it’s gone from “dorky born again running a Bible study” to “theocratic fringe madman keeping his kidnapped daughter-wives in a old bomb shelter, purposely making sure they’re oblivious about the wider world.” I’m also 87% confident it’ll merge with Metapedia one day to become the ultimate racist, tasteless wiki of all white terrorists everywhere by 2025.

Again, look at Infogalactic.

Conservapedia is very quaint, reminiscent of the old Tea Party style Conservatism of the early 2010s. Metapedia is more white nationalist and I doubt they'd find enough common ground for a merger.

Back