• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

I feel like there was a period where NDCR was genuinely popular, and as a group we had to fight a heroic rearguard effort to keep it from getting a Turtledove. In those days the vitriol was absolutely appropriate. Doubt anyone on here likes it though, and I don't think it's anywhere near as hegemonic as it once was in the other place. No need to bring the war home, y'know.

I feel like there was a period where NDCR was genuinely popular, and as a group we had to fight a heroic rearguard effort to keep it from getting a Turtledove. In those days the vitriol was absolutely appropriate. Doubt anyone on here likes it though, and I don't think it's anywhere near as hegemonic as it once was in the other place. No need to bring the war home, y'know.
This, plus the fact that at the peak of its popularity there was a lot to say about it, because so much was bad. But by now a year/year and a half later everything that can be said about it has been said ad nauseum. My reaction to people still saying the TL is racist is "Really? Next you're going to tell me that Triumph of the Will is fascist."

This, plus the fact that at the peak of its popularity there was a lot to say about it, because so much was bad. But by now a year/year and a half later everything that can be said about it has been said ad nauseum. My reaction to people still saying the TL is racist is "Really? Next you're going to tell me that Triumph of the Will is fascist."

The last interesting new thing I heard about it was the shift from bad political ah to bad military ah, which was good fun, and if it does something new I'd be first in line for the gossip, but it does feel like we've run out of talking points for now.

The last interesting new thing I heard about it was the shift from bad political ah to bad military ah, which was good fun, and if it does something new I'd be first in line for the gossip, but it does feel like we've run out of talking points for now.
Is it still going? I'm not on AH.com, but I was under the impression that the author quit.

Is it still going? I'm not on AH.com, but I was under the impression that the author quit.

It's still going. The author quit, then came back, and also he gave the fans his notes. It continued in a cloddish third part for awhile, then started a fourth part in Chat when that got closed down when Calbear finally noticed they were jumping over his beloved 'no current politics' rule.

From my understanding, the latest thing that happened prior to it being moved to Chat was "President Bundy gets assassinated by his own government on 9/11 after his crimes are discovered, Alex Jones commits suicide because of Bundy's crimes, and James Meredith becomes the first African-American president. Oh, and there's a neo-khanate or something in Central Asia, I don't know."

Kinda hard to believe I once found it an interesting timeline to read.

Kinda hard to believe I once found it an interesting timeline to read.

I can personally understand, because I remember being in that position earlier myself, where something with a lot of exposition can feel more plausible and interesting than it actually is, especially if it's only being revealed one step at a time.

I can personally understand, because I remember being in that position earlier myself, where something with a lot of exposition can feel more plausible and interesting than it actually is, especially if it's only being revealed one step at a time.
What makes it worse in my mind was that it wasn't even from reading the actual timeline, just from going over the TV Tropes page, which comes across as obviously biased when looking at it now.

To borrow a phrase, NDCR is both good and original, but the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.

It's a great saying, but it simply isn't true in this case--there's neither originality nor quality in Queen Nixon in... Every major thread in the TL was stolen from another work that did it better--even President Bundy--with the only novelty being how it's all mixed together. It's a bunch of reheated leftovers and scraps blended badly, and mixed with poison.

Because let's make it clear--I dislike it and The Most Dreadful Thing because they're badly done. I despise them because they're both evil works, evil in their philosophy and evil in their intent. Oh, a petty evil that probably won't amount to much, but still evil. The Most Dreadful Thing is about telling wannabe terrorists that their day will come while sobbing like the Walrus on Oysters about it--Queen Nixon in... is about letting the Alt-Right run rampant over a work so they can offend any not of the Sect who chances to read it while insisting they're doing a thoughtful work here and you're being a cuck if you are offended by them.

And so if I can go off on tangents on the pair of them on occasion well, my apologies.

Beware, @Skaven and @Jared, for now Kratman's Caliphate has become largely alternative history by passage of time! So now it's a alternative history as well as a terrible futuristic political sci-fi and a terrible act of racism.

It's still better than the "scifi" he did on "Earth but upside-down and with dirigibles" where he added a sinister lot of feminazis and neopagans from future-Earth to lurk--SINISTERLY--in the background so it would definitely qualify as sci-fi.

Beware, @Skaven and @Jared, for now Kratman's Caliphate has become largely alternative history by passage of time! So now it's a alternative history as well as a terrible futuristic political sci-fi and a terrible act of racism.
I've never accepted something as alternate history unless it was actually written as alternate history. If it was written as future history, then future history it remains, as far as I'm concerned (just outdated future history). That this excludes Caliphate from the genre of alternate history wasn't the point of the exercise, but it's a convenient bonus.

Back