• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

I've sort of noticed a trend about the timelines that are unusually bad is that they're just so long and thorough.

Queen Nixon, for example, is >1200 book-length pages long.

I mean, one thing that makes unusually bad TLs unusually bad is their sheer length. It means that they take their fundamentally unsound premises to bizarre directions. It meant that Queen Nixon went from “Eisenhower passed the Voting Rights Act with no backlash whatsoever” to “Queen Nixon” to “Mandela supports apartheid”.

I mean, one thing that makes unusually bad TLs unusually bad is their sheer length. It means that they take their fundamentally unsound premises to bizarre directions. It meant that Queen Nixon went from “Eisenhower passed the Voting Rights Act with no backlash whatsoever” to “Queen Nixon” to “Mandela supports apartheid”.
Yeah the lack of a narrative is a feature, not a bug in the Bad TL system.

That's also true of some really good TLs. Decades of Darkness and Look to the West are also really, really long.
A long work has the advantage of either being consumed serially over a long period, or simple longevity, to get itself into your memory.

For a short work to lodge itself in your mind, it has to be really outstanding one way or the other.

A long work has the advantage of either being consumed serially over a long period, or simple longevity, to get itself into your memory.

For a short work to lodge itself in your mind, it has to be really outstanding one way or the other.

It's like the difference between a throwaway 150 page "men's adventure" novel from the 1980s and the Survivalist with its 27 book strict continuity and gigantic genre shifts.

How do you know this?
(this may have sounded interrogative, but I am genuinely curious)

I'm giving the whole thing a read right now actually. I did the math out to see how much I was in for first. I'm ~500 pages in right now. I'm planning on writing a sort of reflection/review of it when I finish which I'll either post here or on a place like sufficient velocity.

I'm giving the whole thing a read right now actually. I did the math out to see how much I was in for first. I'm ~500 pages in right now. I'm planning on writing a sort of reflection/review of it when I finish which I'll either post here or on a place like sufficient velocity.

Have you gotten to the conventional WWIII yet?

It's like the difference between a throwaway 150 page "men's adventure" novel from the 1980s and the Survivalist with its 27 book strict continuity and gigantic genre shifts.
Most of the 'and then John was the zombie' level AH stories I can think of were explicitly jokes, not meant to be taken seriously. There was a great one some years ago that was a blow by blow account of the Presidency of Al Gore, but it was just him being president for like two or three days because Clinton died of a sudden and tragic heart attack the week of the inauguration, so it was 6:58am - President awakens and rises in residency, 7:01 am - President finishes urinating in executive bathroom, etc.

Most of the 'and then John was the zombie' level AH stories I can think of were explicitly jokes, not meant to be taken seriously. There was a great one some years ago that was a blow by blow account of the Presidency of Al Gore, but it was just him being president for like two or three days because Clinton died of a sudden and tragic heart attack the week of the inauguration, so it was 6:58am - President awakens and rises in residency, 7:01 am - President finishes urinating in executive bathroom, etc.
That TL was an important portrayal of people who suffer from bowel problems. President Gore pooped for a really long time each day.

That TL was an important portrayal of people who suffer from bowel problems. President Gore pooped for a really long time each day.
Hey, if I was president, I'd probably spend an above-average amount of time in the bathroom.

Heck, if I was just a senator and I could cause the government of the United States to grind to a halt by hiding in a bathroom, it would be pretty tempting.

There was a great one some years ago that was a blow by blow account of the Presidency of Al Gore, but it was just him being president for like two or three days because Clinton died of a sudden and tragic heart attack the week of the inauguration, so it was 6:58am - President awakens and rises in residency, 7:01 am - President finishes urinating in executive bathroom, etc.
Do you have a link? I could use a good laugh.

Back