• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

Tbh that trope about a Republican civil rights act meaning they win black voters en-masse isn't that extraordinary, unfortunately. It's certainly not just an alt-right teen thing. It's a more or less standard baseline level ignorance comment on post-1900.

Well, yeah. If that were the only problem with the TL, it'd just be worth an eyeroll. But, it really, REALLY isn't.

I mean, I can just about see a timeline where the black vote becomes competitive. That timeline is not New Deal Coalition.

I think a Republican CRA would probably have kept the black vote in roughly the situation it was in by the time of Kennedy-Nixon, with about a third of it going Republican, analogous to Hispanics in the last few decades. But the continuance of that would depend on the further long-term political development of the parties.

A lot of ISOT TLs feels like "Colonialism: This Time We'll Do It Right". It can be well written, but still. (As One Star Sets for example, i feel like Japan seems too altruistic? Maybe i have more skewed opinions on Shinzo Abe, i guess)

and of course the tide turning when the DDR forces switch sides

The leader of the NVA defectors is Heinz Kessler, a lifelong communist who was kicked out of the SED's official successor party for being too tankie. Granted, I think this is more just laziness rather than some of the equally bizarre political u-turns featured. I mean he did defect historically but in 1941, to the Red Army.

after hearing so much evil about that "NDCR" TL I decided to check TV tropes page about it.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/NewDealCoalitionRetained

Sweet Jesus... what a load of horse manure, indeed.

Trust me--the damn thing is actually WORSE than it sounds, no small thanks to its plunk, plunk, plunk "and here's a wikibox" writing style.

That stated, I'd argue that it doesn't get actioned anymore because nobody but the fans really cares about it these days.

Yeah, the one who says the truth, must be assassinated... AH.com is in downward spiral, just sayin' and pointing their contradictions.

Last edited:
I didn't even know it had restarted. Reports are welcome if anyone starts cheerleading for murder and whatever again.

You know, I'm going to sound awful, but I don't care--I can't help but think that would be giving them what they want. The fans want Queen Nixon in... to be some sort of great political statement that is being persecuted for being SO HARDCORE, MAN, and they take the reports and like as PROOF that that is happening. Ignoring it as they spend their time making flags with Bugs Bunny on them is probably the best way to deal with the damn dumpster fire.

Back