• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

The Red

Published by SLP
Hang on, though, he's about as English as they come, isn't he?
Yep, I think he travels about a bit with his job and other pursuits (the proceeds for the buyable e-copy goes towards an annual pilgrimage to Lourdes he helps organise) but he is English and is based in England.

Time Enough

Howdy there, just ride in through
Luckily, at this point, the wiki runs out of plot summaries. However, I have a vague memory of another book having the PoD being that people find out that Jack the Ripper is a member of the royal family, and for some reason this causes a Communist revolution in the UK because apparently blind faith in the monarchy was all that was holding the British population back. Oh, and to justify why preventing this is bad, Commie!Britain ends up in a nuclear war.

Yeah, not
I used to like the series, actually met the author once and he seemed like a decent bloke. However his writing wasn't the best, also you forgot the Jack the Ripper one had a young H.G. Wells in it (because of course) and somehow the Communist Britian got into a Nuclear war with a Soviet Union.

If you want decent young adult AH fiction then read the Levithan series, because whilst it's ridiculous the author has certainly done his historical research, it's just Westerfeld wanted Dieselpunk Imperial Germans vs Biopunk Brits.

If you want decent young adult AH fiction then read the Levithan series, because whilst it's ridiculous the author has certainly done his historical research, it's just Westerfeld wanted Dieselpunk Imperial Germans vs Biopunk Brits.
I credit the Leviathan series for sparking my interest in zeppelins. It is certainly very good, if implausible, and sometimes I worry about the nightmares that will be this world's Nazi Germany and Soviet Union.

Time Enough

Howdy there, just ride in through
I credit the Leviathan series for sparking my interest in zeppelins. It is certainly very good, if implausible, and sometimes I worry about the nightmares that will be this world's Nazi Germany and Soviet Union.
Actually given how the series's ends a Nazi Germany is unlikely, although given how Russia was in this timeline still a decaying mess we could still have a biopunk Soviet Union...probably lead by Trotsky. Also Japan seemed to still be heading down the same route as OTL...so you win some you lose some I guess.

Coiler

Connoisseur of the Miscellaneous
John Schettler's Kirov series isn't just dubious, it's also disappointing. Axis of Time ripoff it might be, there's at least some decent potential in "super-battlecruiser goes back in time to World War II" and there's also some potential in wargaming (which Schettler has worked in) various alternate history events.

The issue is that it doesn't have to be 45 books long and counting, with, as @Skinny87 pointed out, a spinoff devoted to Waterloo of all things. From what I've personally read, the reason percentage is about 30% the books becoming platforms to show off contingency wargaming and 70% just really, really bad pacing.

Coiler

Ah yes, that TL. I was even a small contributor to it, and it was a big eye opener. I'm curious as to see how many of your dislikes match mine, which are...

• Moving past the initial installment's alternate console war and into an aimless description of fictional video games that everyone else oohs and ahs over.
  • A lot of wish fulfillment, amplified by excessive fan participation.
  • Tangents and "shock events", often non-gaming, thrown out there for no real reason except "butterflies because we feel like it"

Coiler

Is it particularly bad? It just looks like a simultaneously dense yet facile infodump timeline to me.
To be honest, even from my slanted views, it's not that bad. Given the subject of its fantasies is just video games and entertainment in general, it's certainly less objectionable than a political fantasy TL, at least.

Burton K Wheeler

Itinerant Frontier Hobo
Not massive but... *Deletes file labeled "Best Case in Iraq"*
I'd like to see that, actually. It's pretty obvious that doing something instead of nothing at all for all of 2003 would have made the later situation massively better, but exactly what "something" would entail or how the Bush administration could be persuaded to do anything but flail around are interesting questions.

Burton K Wheeler

Itinerant Frontier Hobo
Alternate microhistory is fun, folks.
100%. I have a sort of half-assed idea for a collaborative TL where the premise is basically making something like Cyberpunk 2020's background the actual history of 2020, with a POD no earlier than 1984 (publication of Neuromancer). I'm less interested in a creatively different world than seeing all the alternate sports teams and video games consoles and whatever people would come up with.

Archibald

Patreon supporter
I'd like to see that, actually. It's pretty obvious that doing something instead of nothing at all for all of 2003 would have made the later situation massively better, but exactly what "something" would entail or how the Bush administration could be persuaded to do anything but flail around are interesting questions.
Listening France and Germany instead of insulting them (la vieille Europe, elle t'emmerdes, Donald Tr... pardon, Donald Rumsfeld) and NOT invading Iraq would have greatly helped the entire world, really - non-existence of ISIS included ten years down the road. Saddam was a massive SOB, but he was a threat to nobody bar his own people... and the WMD were never found.
Lesson number 1: never, ever add more chaos to the usual chaos of the Middle-East, Earth most insane place.

Burton K Wheeler

Itinerant Frontier Hobo
Listening France and Germany instead of insulting them (la vieille Europe, elle t'emmerdes, Donald Tr... pardon, Donald Rumsfeld) and NOT invading Iraq would have greatly helped the entire world, really - non-existence of ISIS included ten years down the road. Saddam was a massive SOB, but he was a threat to nobody bar his own people... and the WMD were never found.
Lesson number 1: never, ever add more chaos to the usual chaos of the Middle-East, Earth most insane place.
Yeah, but that's just Iraq without the invasion. I'm talking about Iraq invaded as per OTL but the occupation not horribly botched so it's merely a disaster but not an apocalyptic one.